Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dvd

• Please log in to reply

johnscott

johnscott

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi
I bought some dvd-r to copy some home movies and they will not work on my computer,although the comp knows they are in when i try to copy i just get an error message. I tried them on a friend's comp and they work fine. I got a dvd from my friend and it works fine. The one's I bought will not work on my comp, Im guessing some setting on my comp are not right, can anyone help.
thanks

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Different brands of CD/DVD burners often don't like certain brands of blank discs for various technical reasons such as the type of dye used to make the discs or even the quality of the discs if they are not made by one of the top names in the business. Some makes of burner are really choosy about this, whilst other makes will often write to any blank disc you feed it. So it's not impossible for a disc that works on your friends PC to not work on yours, and vice versa. It's the burner that's being finicky about what brand of discs it likes, not the PC as such. Try a different brand, preferably from one of the big names like Sony, TDK or Kodak, all of which are high-quality.

I'm sure it's just a case of finding a brand of disc that works for you then sticking with that brand if possible in future.

Edited by pip22, 22 June 2007 - 01:16 PM.

johnscott

johnscott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I tried to copy a disc using Sonic DigitalMedia but i got this error message

Sense: 05 ASC: 30 ASCQ: 05 (Command 2A)
-------------------------------------------------------
Px.dll: 2.7.39.500
pxdrv.dll: 1.1.94.0
PxMas.dll: 2.7.39.500
PxSFS.DLL: 2.2.54.500
PxWave.dll: 2.7.39.500
pxwma.dll: 1.0.0.3

does this make sense to you
thanks

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
that error means your medium (dvd-r's) are incompatible with your burner. you need to find compatible dvd-r's for your burner.