Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SMART failure predicted on hard disk 0?

• Please log in to reply

girryman

girryman

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
hi all again helping a friend out like always and ever time he starts up his laptop (fujitsu) this message comes up: smart failure predicted on hard disk 0: wdc wd800ve-07hdt0-(pm)
Warning: immediately back up your data and replace your hard diskdrive. a failure may be imminent
pres f1 to continue.
so my question is: dose this mean the hard disk is dead or might there be a way around this by reinstalling windows again or with a recovery cd (if he has on) ? thanks again for all your time and effort.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
This will ususally imply an actual hardware failure. I would definitely take steps immediately to get the data backed up and look into purchasing a hard drive.

I ignored this once I backed stuff up more frequently but I didnt take it seriously, moral of the story: I got burned :whistling:

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
thanks for the quick reply. ive no idea how to back up the data??? im a bit clueless on that any help would be great. also i did a chkdsk and it came back that there were no problems.....

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I would expect those results. Those check the indexes and clusters on the drive, this is more of an actual problem with the hardware.

What version of XP are you running?

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
its running windows xp home edition, cheers

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Is the XP Home cd available, that has a builtin backup utility on it.

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
yep i have a windows xp home edition sp2 will that do? thanks

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Yup. Put that in the computer and go to: VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP

double click the ntbackup.msi and that will install.

Once thats done to access it all you have to do is go to Start -> Run -> type: ntbackup

hit enter.

Once the screen comes up there is a wizard you can follow that will allow you to choose what to back up and where.

My recommendation is you pick a small folder, back it up somewhere else, then do a restore.

This will get you familiar with the interface and it will make sure things backup and restore ok. Its a very simple program to use.

Let me know how that goes.

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
hi again ive got to go to work is it ok to pick this up tomorow and i can crack on and see where i get and let you know? thanks again for your time and effort, take care

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Sounds good.

Advertisements

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
hi back again, the last instructions you left i cant get my head around it sorry, it goes straight in to windows set up and i dont know where to find VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP. thanks again for your help

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
While your running windows, pop in the cd, let the screen come up with the install or upgrade or whatever it says, I cant remeber :whistling: just exit out of that. Go to My Computer and right click on the cd drive and click Explore. From there it should open up a tree view that will allow you to browse to that file.

Let me know how that goes.

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
thats the problem i cant start up windows as the hard disk is broken and wont let me go any further, the only thing i can can do is boot from the cd, which then gives me the options to reinstall repair or make a partition, thanks for the reply.

girryman

girryman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
i think what i need to do is save the data on the laptop, but is there a way of doing that without windows acutually loading? cheers

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Ahh Im sorry, I misunderstood. Can you take the hard drive out and use it as a secondary in another computer. Then just copy the data off.
If its a DVD drive they have bootable linux cd's you can download and use that to recover the data off the drive.

Other than that I am not too familiar with apps that work preboot. The above two are the options that I use.