Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Vista Sharing Printer From XP SP2

• Please log in to reply

Sublimelyoblivious

Sublimelyoblivious

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Here we go again.
I have a pavilion dv9000 laptop running 32 bit Vista. This laptop is in the same workgroup as my Dell Dimension running XP SP2. The file sharing is working fine....I can access two external hard drives physically connected to the desktop no problem.

PRINTER WILL NOT CONNECT VIA LAPTOP.

I get a windows Vista error message to install the driver (which both the driver for 32 bit and the firmware updates were successful in unzipping and installing). Yet each time I try to connect to the printer, it says to verify the names are the same and the computer and printer are turned on.....
When I look at my Dimension on my network I see the **** Printer but if I try to use it I get the aforementioned errors.

When I tried to "Install Driver" option from that error menu it was "Not Responding". And eventually will give you a failure notification.

IS an A940 not a printer that can be shared???
Do you have to plug the printer into a router instead of another computer? (I don't have a USB cable that has two ends that will fit the modem/router and printer, they are d-shaped.)

HELP....If anyone else had had problems with a Dell All in One printer on a network....or problems related to printer sharing on xP and Vista 32 Bit, please let me know how you would or did resolve the issues.

I have ensured that the Printer Name and Shared Printer name match on the desktop and laptop.
The Vista 32 bit wizard seems to be the problem because XP seems to have it down to a science.

Advertisements