Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Adobe Flash Player Will Not Download?

• Please log in to reply

Davexx1

Davexx1

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have an unusal issue going on. Computer was working fine until one day my wife clicked to open a web site and a page displyed that said we needed to download Adobe Flash Player. (I don't remember if we had FP before this or not)

She clicked on the button on the page to download Flash Player and it would not load. Called me in, I rebooted the machine, clicked on the Internet Explorer icon to start IE and the page immediately came up saying we needed to download FP. I started AOL, went to the Adobe download website, tried several times to download FP and it would start the download but would not complete it as normal. Not sure then if I had it or not. Un-installed it, then tried to download again. Same result.

I can't use Internet Explorer because the page about needing the download keeps popping up. Apparently I have not been able to download Flash Player so I am not sure what the problem is, IE or FP????

I have ZA firewall, have run all scans and such and no spyware, virus, etc. can be found so we are clean.

How do I troubleshoot this issue and fix?

My machine is a several year old Dell desktop Dimension 8250 w/ Win XP home edition, 256mbs RAM, SP 1, etc. working on a Britehouse Road Runner DSL.

Thanks, Dave

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
try the flash player uninstaller:

http://kb.adobe.com/...n...7&sliceId=1

Davexx1

Davexx1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the reply. This has proved to be quite a challenge.

I have tried everything I can think of doing to get the new Adobe Flash Player Version 9 installed and so far nothing has worked. I have used the Adobe un-installer tool, have disabled my ZoneAlarm firewall, disabled all pop up blockers that I could find, have ran Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, CCleaner, etc. which found nothing so the computer appears to be clean. I have attempted the Flash Player download using two separate browsers (IE and AOL) and that didn't work either.

I called my DSL provider (Britehouse Road Runner) and then called Adobe and had their tech support try to help. That was a waste of time. I got somebody in INDIA that I could not understand and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

After running the Adobe uninstaller tool, I attempt to do upgrade download and it seems to start, but never completes. I never get the movie they mention. I only get the blank white box window that has the tiny square in the upper left hand corner. In that tiny box there are three tiny symbols of some kind. Don't know what that means but it seems I did not get the download. I never get the usual message that the download is complete.

After trying to do the download, if I click/open Add/Rem Programs, I see an Adobe Flash Player Active X file listed there but it has no bites or file size listed. If I then go back to my DSL provider (Road Runner) home page at www.rr.com, I immediately get the page up that says I need to upgrade my Adobe Flash Player. I checked other website pages that has content that needs FP to run and they will not run either so it seems I did not get the upgraded version 9 download.

I have no idea what else to try. If I have missed something please point it out

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated.

Dave

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
ok, lets try this:

Go to Start, run, type in "regedit" without the quotes. Hit enter.

navigate in the left pane to HKEY_Local Machine\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Right click on uninstall and select export. type in a file name and click save. This is to make a backup of the uninstall key before we make changes.

Right click on uninstall and select find. type in Flash.

IN the left hand pane you will see an "open folder" indicating the key. The right hand pane will contain information regarding installed software. In this case Flash. In the left hand pane, right click on "open folder" and select delete.

There should be another folder under install called "ShockwaveFlash". Delete this one as well.

reboot the pc. Try installing flash player again and see what happens.

Davexx1

Davexx1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I followed your directions exactly but did not find the exact files you mentioned in the left/right panes late into those steps. I found Adobe Flash Player Active X in left pane but found no Flash in the right pane. In left pane, I found Shockwave but not Shockwave Flash.

I deleted both, restarted, attempted the new Flash Player version download twice and got the same result, did not complete the download.

I think the reason I did not find the exact files you mentioned is because I was unable to get a complete download before. I had removed FP before via their un-install tool then did the new version download, and the complete version did not download then just like it did not load tonight.

It almost seems I am getting all of the old version removed but just cannot get the complete new version to load. One possibility might be that something is stopping the download before it completes. Just a guess.

Any other ideas?

Thanks, Dave

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
ok... I think you have(had) flashplayer 8..... I'll have to look up what I had to do to fix that. I'll get back to you sometime tomorrow.

Davexx1

Davexx1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
OK, thanks.

I just downloaded Firefox so I will be playing with it for a while trying to learn my way around it and figure out which add on's I need for it.

Dave