Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2003: Sending/Forwarding Messages with Multiple e-mail Account

• Please log in to reply

Intern

Intern

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey there. I have a question about multiple e-mail accounts in Outlook. Say I have 3 e-mails linked to my Outlook. Now, I have e-mail #1 set as my default e-mail account, so that whenever I go to write a new e-mail it is sent out from that account. But if I get replies from my e-mails sent back to e-mail #2 or #3, when I go to forward my replies, they are sent out from e-mail #2 or #3. Is there a setting that I can apply so that whenever I send an e-mail or forward, it is always sent from my e-mail #1 and not just when I am writing a new e-mail? Or do I have to manually change the account I am replying from every time? Thanks a bunch.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can only have one default reply address at any one time. You can change the from address on an email-by-email basis.

Intern

Intern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well I went to Tools, E-Mail Accounts, View or Change Existing E-Mail Accounts, and then clicked Set as Default but it is still not using that default address if I am replying to a message sent to one of my other address. Instead the reply is sent from that address that the message was originally sent to. I just always want to be sending all of my e-mails from the default address that I have selected. Is there any way to do that besides manually changing the From address on some e-mails?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there's no real way of doing it automatically when there are multiple accounts (say one hotmail, one gmail, and one yahoo)....if the mail comes in to yahoo...but hotmail is your default...if you reply to the one that came in on yahoo...then it's going to assume that's who you're wanting to use to reply from...that's kind of the purpose of having multiple accounts....to my knowledge there's no automatic way of doing it....only manual methods....

if you're using outlook (not outlook express as i have no idea how to do this in express or if it's possible) you can click on options then put your "primary account" email address in the "have replies sent to:" section when you reply to an email from a secondary account...this wont make it show up as comming from the primary account on the other end...but if they reply to that message...it will come back to your primary account instead of the secondary account....which would then allow you to reply to them from the primary...

what is the exact purpose for you to do what you're wanting to do? just have all emails come to one place or what?...some webmail accounts have the ability to automatically forward mail or deliver directly to a different account....such that if someone emails you at your yahoo account it automatically gets routed to your hotmail account...and you can reply from there....but that would route ALL mail from one account to another

Intern

Intern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yeah I've seen the "have replies sent to:" section and I guess we're going to go with that. Thanks for the help.

Edited by Intern, 26 June 2007 - 07:32 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i guess that's where the slippery slope comes in....if they're at work...they shouldn't need their personal email...and they shouldn't be using their personal email to conduct business....of course all of those shouldn'ts are theoretical in a perfect world