Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do website hosts bill you?

• Please log in to reply

sarahd711

sarahd711

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I am currently hosted on a free host but I am looking into purchasing an account with a paid host. I would much rather prefer to pay the amount for the year right now rather than pay monthly.

Thus my question is, how do website hosts bill you when you purchase a plan? Do they charge you for the year (or two years, if you so choose) at once when you check-out? Or do they charge you the monthly price every month?

Advertisements

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
How good does the host need to be (storage and bandwidth wise)?

If it's a small personal site, go with FreePgs. It's a one-off payment, you get bandwidth per day (3GB on smallest plan) and the site is really fast. no file-size limits, php, unlimited MySQL.

http://system.freepgs.com

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
My host, StartLogic.com, charges me for the whole year and is renewed automatically. Of course, their home page indicates the per month price, as do others, to make it look appealing. Never asked whether I could pay by the month, but if your serious about a good host, it's better by the year anyway. Just be sure to check what is offered before committing yourself. StartLogic.com has a VDeck Panel and allows use of everything. They have LiveChat or use of TroubleTickets. Example: ProLogic Package. I'm sure there are a lot of other good ones out there. A friend of mine uses Cedant.com.

Ron

sarahd711

sarahd711

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thanks for both replies. Major Payne, I checked out your host and I think I've found what I'm looking for. Of course I'm still going to look around a bit but I like the plan and that I can pay yearly. Supercalifragilistic, your host seems excellent as well but I think I will need more space. Again, thank you both :whistling:

Supercalifragilistic

Supercalifragilistic

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
You could try www.lvcs.net or www.crucialwebhost.com (saw it recommened in the forums and the space/bandwidth looks excellent).

Edit: That one Major Payne posted looks good actually. Might try it out some time.

Edited by Supercalifragilistic, 22 June 2007 - 08:40 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Best thing is to shop around carefully because once committed and you get your site up and running, you'll lose a lot with the SEs. It's also a pain moving sometimes to a new host. Read all the Reviews on each host's site. Of course, they'll post the best ones, but you never know.

Ron

I.D.S. Administrator

I.D.S. Administrator

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Google is good for this stuff.

I am currently hosted on a free host but I am looking into purchasing an account with a paid host. I would much rather prefer to pay the amount for the year right now rather than pay monthly.

Thus my question is, how do website hosts bill you when you purchase a plan? Do they charge you for the year (or two years, if you so choose) at once when you check-out? Or do they charge you the monthly price every month?