Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

when trying to format hd, "delete partition" option is shade

• Please log in to reply

mich1710

mich1710

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a 4 year old laptop whose disk is more than half full and I would like to format the hd and start over. When I try to right click to delete the partition for C drive, the option is shaded out. I am limited computer-savvy and have only formatted another hd once a long time ago in DOS mode (!) so if there is another option available now to cleaning out my hard drive, I would appreciate any other suggestions. I use this laptop for working from home but don't run any media or gaming on it.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Have you got the handbook that came with your laptop? Read it to find out what you need to do to make a fresh install of Windows. Laptops can be tricky, they are deliberately made hard to get into and reformat because they are easily stolen and present a security issue. If you don't have the book try going to the maker's website for the information. There may be special procedures you need to follow, such as changing the boot order in the BIOS, which may require special knowledge.

mich1710

mich1710

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ugh! I didn't think of that, it makes perfect sense. Yes, I have the book for it and I will take a look. Thanks for the warning!