Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shutdown issue

• Please log in to reply

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
For the past 10 days, on occasions when i try to shutdown my computer I select start> turn off computer. My computer will sit with a hour glass for between 1 to 3 minutes before I can select shutdown/restart. What would cause this and how can I fix this, please?

TIA

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first try closing everything you have running yourself before you shut down...no joy....

look here and see if these will help

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
Guys, I am not talking about the shutdown itself taking long. I am talking about after selecting START> TURN OFF COMPUTER and then the option of STAND BY | TURN OFF |RESTART menu that takes a minute to 3 to come up. That is the issue.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Does this happen anywhere else you've encountered yet, or ONLY when selecting the shut down menu?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I am talking about after selecting START> TURN OFF COMPUTER and then the option of STAND BY | TURN OFF |RESTART menu that takes a minute to 3 to come up

this means that windows is doing something and it has to stop that before it can do what your asking it to do..

have you tried system restore yet...go back a week before the problem started...no joy

get process explorer...and we will try to figure out whats bogging you down...

what are your system specs...

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Speed up shut downs.
Check out tips 95,96,97

http://www.pcstats.c...t...590&page=32

Bruinaholic

Bruinaholic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

I am talking about after selecting START> TURN OFF COMPUTER and then the option of STAND BY | TURN OFF |RESTART menu that takes a minute to 3 to come up

this means that windows is doing something and it has to stop that before it can do what your asking it to do..

have you tried system restore yet...go back a week before the problem started...no joy

get process explorer...and we will try to figure out whats bogging you down...

what are your system specs...

Happyrck, System restore seems to have done the trick. Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

System restore seems to have done the trick. Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.

your welcome....thanks for letting us know what worked... :whistling: