Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FireFox and screen shots

• Please log in to reply

emaan9301

emaan9301

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hello, I have a general question about viewing screen shots and/or jpg images in firefox. I can view them with no problems at all in ie but I use firefox as my main browser and find it time consuming and bothersome to have to open ie when I am in a discussion group and need or want to view a screen shot, even ones that i have posted. Does anyone know how I can fix this as I really want to use firefox for my discussion groups and not ie. I have also noticed that when i go into ebay i can not view the images there either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jennifer

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try setting your Exceptions in FF under Tools, Options, then Content and Privacy tabs. See if adding the sites you have problems with clears up the no image problem you have. Make sure JavaScript and cookies are turned on. Better yet, get the NoScript extension for FF so you can control allowing/disallowing JavaScript for every site visited.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 23 June 2007 - 02:25 AM.

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Also make sure the "Load images automatically" box is checked on the Content tab in Options.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Think I basically covered that as it wouldn't do to put any sites in the Exceptions if the boxes are not ticked.

Ron

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thank you for helping. I have checked and d/l what you mentioned. I added that site to the white list on the noscript. I also added it to the exceptions list in Firefox with it being allowed. I have gone to the web site with the discussion board with screen shots and I am still unable to view them. Are there any other suggestions that I may be able to do?

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I found out that Mozilla had a discussion board so i searched it and this is the link i found that helped me. I posted it here so that it may be able to help someone else. If this is wrong of me, feel free to remove it.

MozillaZine

Thank you for helping me Major Payne and ViprXX.

Jennifer

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Thanks for the link. Post which method you had to use to solve your problem. I have used Firefox for years and have never had to edit any of its files unless I experimented to see the effect. The default values on FF should not prevent viewing any images unless you do have something like ZoneAlarm to restrict permissions. FF also has a new update if you don't have it: version 2.0.0.4.

Glad you got your problem solved and thanks for using GTG.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 23 June 2007 - 12:35 PM.

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I used the 2nd step to fix my problem:

1. Type about:config in the location bar
2. Filter for permissions.default.image
3. Change value to 1

Now I have no problems viewing the pictures that I post or the ones others post. It didn't block all of my pictures, I could go to gaming sites and view everything there, it was just the jpg, gif images and the like. I don't have zonealarm on my pc, I have mcafee security center as it came free with comcast.

Thank you for telling me about the update, I checked my properties and it is the one I am using.

Thanks again for helping me. I will probably be back on in the next few days to get help with the pc my children use, I have no idea what they have done to it but it will need serious help.

Jennifer

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Thank you for quick post. I still haven't figured out why you had to go through the steps with Firefox. Unless there is some extension to FF installed that modified the file. Good luck with children's PC. Kids may say the darnedest things, but they also do the darnedest things to PCs. LOL GTG will be here for you.

Ron