Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Starting from scratch

• Please log in to reply

RTAmanda

RTAmanda

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have had this old Gateway computer since I graduated high school (about 8 years). I recently ordered a new computer and will be giving this old one to a family member. I want to make sure ALL of my personal old files and stuff are off of the old one before I give it to them. How can I do this? Do I have to go program by program hitting the delete button? And even then, how do I know everything is gone? I know basically how to use my computer, but am clueless when it comes to this sort of stuff. Also, what about files, pictures, etc., that I want moved to my new computer? What is the best way to move them? I did put in a plexwriter drive into my old computer, so it can write to discs. I figured I would have to save files I wanted to a disc, then save them to my new computer. Okay, I think that covers my question, and I hope I made sense! Thanks in advance for your help!!! :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Well, depends on how bad your family member wants your info...

This is what I would do in your situation.

Whent he new computer arrives, remove the harddrive from the gateway, place it in the new computer, turn on the new computer and create a folder called OLD COMPUTER, drag the entire contents of the old computer over, then format the old disk, turn off, put it in the old computer and reinstall windows.

This SOUNDS a lot more difficult than it is. Following the above guideline

Whent the new computer arrives, set it up, activate it, etc. Turn it off

Open old gateway, remove harddrive. There will be a power supply plug, ribbon cable and four screws holding the harddrive in. Unscrew and unplug.

Open the new computer case. Touch the metal case before touching anything else to ground yourself. How many drives are in there? Probably one harddrive and one cd/dvd rom.

There will be a ribbon cable (likely) stretching from the motherboard to the harddrive, and another to the cd-dvd rom OR one cable connection both harddrive and cd/dvd-rom to the motherboard.

If it is the former, remove the ribbon cable and power cable from the cd-dvd rom. Stack a couple of books next to the new computer case, and set your old drive on them, then connect them.

If it is the latter, remove the ribbon cable and power cable from the cd-dvd rom. Stack a couple of books next to the new computer case, and set your old drive on them, then connect them BUT move the jumper on the old drive to SLAVE position (look on the harddrive sticker, it will usually tell you which one.

Start new comptuer.

Windows will inform you that it is detecting new hardware. Let it install the drive. Open up MY COMPUTER. Double click the new drive (may be D maybe E, F,....

In the top, hit TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS, VIEW tab, check SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS, uncheck hide system file.

Create new folder on your desktop. Open it

Go back to old drive, hit ctrl-a to select all files and folders, and drag everything to the new folder. Take a walk.

Right click MY COMPUTER, choose MANAGE, go to DISKMANAGEMENT, right click old drive, choose format (format as fat32)

when done, power down, disconnect old drive, reconnect cd-drv rom, put old drive in old computer.

Install windows 98 again.

remove the harddrive from the gateway, place it in the new computer, turn on the new computer and create a folder called OLD COMPUTER, drag the entire contents of the old computer over, then format the old disk, turn off, put it in the old computer and reinstall windows.

RTAmanda

RTAmanda

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay! Thank you so very much for your time!!!