Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP logging on users with privileges

• Please log in to reply

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I had to turn my computer off tonight (laptop, Windows XP w/SP2) because my daughter had been on it & whatever she was looking at totally hung the system.

Now when I try to log on to any user that has full privileges I get the message: The system cannot log you on due to the following error: Unable to complete the requested operation because of either a catastrophic media failure or a dfata structure corruption on the disk. Please try again or consult your system administrator.

I tried to log on in Safe Mode and got the same answer. Only users (my kids) who have "limited" accounts can log on.

To make matters wayyyyyyy worse, my CD drive died.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated as I cannot access files I desperately need and of course this computer is not backed up anywhere.

Any help? Any ideas? I am so desperate!

Thanks in advance for reading this. Am heading to bed now because I can barely see after trying to work on this for hours!

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
The only options that I know to start with all require the use of a CD drive. You can try to Start in Safe Mode by repeatably pressing F8 as you are starting your computer, then when you are given a list of options, select Safe Mode with Cammand Prompt then when you get to the command prompt, type in %systemroot%\System32\restore\rstrui.exe then follow the options to restore your computer. I will stress that this is probably not going to work since you will need to log on with Administrative Privilages, the error you are receiving means that the area of you disc that holds the security database has become damaged or corrupt. So, it is imperative that you get your CD drive repaired if you want any hope of recovering from theis error.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
there is a version of linux ( PUPPY LINUX ) that can boot and run from a usb flash drive..if your motherboard supports it...
you could also remove the drive and slave it to a working computer and get your data copied to cd's and then reinstall the drive and create a new admin account and copy your data to that account...
when you say your cd drive does not work ...can it read from a cd or just not burn to cd's

Edited by happyrck, 23 June 2007 - 08:04 AM.

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
happyrck: thanks for the ideas but my cd/dvd drive won't write OR read anything. OUCH!

Is there any backdoor way I can change privileges thru a user that I CAN log on thru?

Thanks so much for your help!

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
PS - I have an external drive (320gb) that the kids use for their music & photos. Is there any way to back up all the data on this computer to the external drive even tho I do not have an admin account access?

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I am pretty sure that won't work, to copy an administrator owned folder you will need an account with admin privelages. If you take out your harddrive and hook it up to another computer as a slave drive, then you could copy the files you need to save, then reinstall Windows on your computer then copy the files back. But, as I said, you will still need to fix your CD drive to reinstall Windows. What brand of computer do you have?

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi cmw2010! This is a Gateway 4012 laptop that is a few years old. Don't know much more than that as a friend gave it to me. Sorry to be so ignorant. They knew I could not afford a laptop, found this one on ebay (I think) and got it then passed it on to me. It has been a godsend because I am permanently disabled and this allows me wayyyy more access to friends and family, news and info. So, I am thrilled to have it!

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Do you have access to another computer? If so you can get one of these IDE to USB Adaptor . You would take the hard drive out of your laptop, hook it up to this adaptor, then hook the other end to USB on the other computer. Then copy your files over. Then put your hard drive back in the laptop. I think with the Gateway model that you have, the restore files are on your hard drive. When you boot up your computer you would press F11 then restore your computer to factory condition.

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks cmw2010! However, no access right now but will try the other stuff & maybe (fingers crossed) will work. Also, if I restore to factory settings, does that wipe out what is on the disk? Programs that I have downloaded thru the net, etc.?

Sorry to be ignorant. You are talking to a chemo-brain, blonde! :whistling:

If THAT doesn't scare you, NOTHING will! LOL

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
Yeah, if you restore to factory settings it will wioe out everything including all your files. I am not sure if there is an option to repair so that all of your files aren't touched. But even if there is I wouldn't trust it if your files are very important.

And my wife is a chemo-brained blonde so nothin scares me. :whistling: OOP's :blink: I think I hear her coming!!

Advertisements

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
you better runnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!! :whistling: :blink: :help:

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hey! tried suggestions for starting in safe mode & input at the prompt. However, all I got was the message

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file."

Here's my ignorance showing: where would I get this file & where would I install it to?

Anyone?

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
And what exactly are the steps for re-installing this file?

Thanks for help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here to get the missing file...there is a tutorial there as well..if you don't have a unzipping program DON'T buy theirs...get justzipit...its free

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks so much happyrck! Am going to try it right now....wish me luck!!!!