Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP logging on users with privileges

• Please log in to reply

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Well, I tried to do this. However, I am logged on as one of my kids who only have limited access. I tried to do this right & place the file in the c:windows\system32 file but it wants admin privleges. Windows has an unzip program and that is where I tried to unzip to the windows/system32 file.

What am I doing wrong?

I feel like I am too dumb to get this to work.

Thanks for trying to help!

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
create a new admin account and install the .dll from that acount

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
You cannot create an account with admin privileges without being able to log on as an administrator.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm afraid the powers that be... won't let me tell you how to reset the admin password

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
happyrck: can you tell me by sending me a personal email? anything would really help. I am really desperate!

Thanks in advance!

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
I am afraid that resetting the password will not help. The problem is not a forgotten password, but that the sector on the hard drive that holds that data has become corrupt.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I am afraid that resetting the password will not help. The problem is not a forgotten password, but that the sector on the hard drive that holds that data has become corrupt.

BUT...if she can reset the password she may be able to make another admin account and reinstall the missing hal.dll file..

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the thing that has me wondering is how can windows load for the limited accounts and not the admin account....they both use the same hal file...its the sam file that would be different

because of the limitations we are working with..no cd drive to work with...and I assume that you tried using puppy linux on a USB flash drive and could not get it to boot into puppy...
the next quickest easiest way is to slave the drive to a working computer and recover your data that way..

you may be able to use boot floppies for xp and get to your data that way...

another way to try is safe mode with command prompt...

Direct Bootup Without Typing Password

1. At a command prompt, type "control userpasswords2" and press Enter to open the Windows 2000-style User Accounts
application.
2. On the Users tab, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer check box and then
click OK.
3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user name and password for the account you want to be
logged on each time you start your computer.

Edited by happyrck, 26 June 2007 - 07:45 PM.

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Sorry to be so long in getting back - family stuff going on.

THANK YOU to everyone who tried to help. I found a computer person who was able to rescue the pictures for my son & everyone's account files except mine! The Owner files were totally garbaged. So was the computer. 30% motherboard failure & the hard drive had serious issues. So, right now I am on my son's to let y'all all know how very much I appreciate all your hard work trying to help me.

I love reading all the questions, the forums, the info on this site. I have recommended it to everyone I know!

Thanks again & have a relaxing 4th celebrating our country's birth!!!