Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading CPU for Gaming

• Please log in to reply

JoJoTime

JoJoTime

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hey, I'm looking to upgrade my cpu to a AMD Athlon 64 6000+ X2 AM2 as they're currently very cheap and I'd like to know if it'd improve my fps in my games.
My specs are

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ AM2
Palit 7900GS 512mb PCI-E
Corsair 2gb 667mhz DDR2 Ram
ASROCK AM2NF6G-VSTA Motherboard

THermaltake 430 watt PSU MODEL:XP550 NP
AC Input: 115V/230V 10A/5A
Frequency: 47-63 hz
DC Output
+3.3V | +5V | +12V | -5V | -12V \ +5VSB
28a | 30a | 18a | 0.5a | 0.8a | 2.0a

The games I play are most of the new generations. E.g. Source Games, Carbon, PES 6, Rappelz Epic3 etc. Also any other new games that come out.

If you'd like any more info just ask. :whistling:

Thanks.

P.S Add ANY suggestions please. Would I need to get any new hardware? e.g. PSU, Motherboard, Cooling, Ram etc.

Edited by JoJoTime, 24 June 2007 - 04:22 AM.

Advertisements

JoJoTime

JoJoTime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Why wont anyone reply? :whistling:

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

P.S Add ANY suggestions please. Would I need to get any new hardware? e.g. PSU, Motherboard, Cooling, Ram etc.

Hi there JoJoTime, I'm not a very knowledgable person about AMD processors, but here's my two cents:

The X2 I think is a dual core processor, so you'll need to double check that your motherboard can handle it. I found this link, so if this is your motherboard, then you should be alright.

The 6000+ numbers are almost double your current processor (3800+), I don't know if this means it's almost double the speed, but it looks like it's a big jump, especially as it is dual core. Therefore, a faster processor should equate to better FPS in your games, as it can do everything faster than your current one. My guess is also that the X2 processor would run a bit hotter, so you may need to keep an eye on the temperatures. I'm not sure what case/fan setup you have now, but there's plenty of information on the web on how to setup your case properly for best airflow. The only other thing I can think of is your power supply might need to be upgraded.

If it's cheap, go for it! :whistling:

JoJoTime

JoJoTime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hey, thanks for replying to my thread.
First off, Yes, that is my motherboard directed from that link.

The processor I have now is the AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (64 bit 2.4ghz (The 3800+ etc. are just names I think))
The 6000+ is the one I want. (64 Dual Core 3ghz) Yes it's over doubling the speed, nearly trippling.

1. I dont know much about cpu's connected to gaming, if the cpu is double the speed will it mean my gaming will be effected in EXACT the same way?

On everest, my cpu currently runs at 35C. The cpu fan(+heatsink?) is stock that must've came with the cpu box (of course).
And one more cooling fan on the back of the tower which is 12mm Thermaltake (TT-1225)

2. Im gonna go upgrade my psu, how many 'W' do u recommend?
3. I heard that if u buy cheap PSUs that dont last that long and dont have much power.
Im probably going to buy from either www.gamedude.com.au or www.msy.com.au/.

P.S Oh yeh btw, with my current specs, do you think there is some bottlenecking going on?

Edited by JoJoTime, 26 June 2007 - 06:01 AM.

trentdk

trentdk

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
The standard in maximum FPS gaming right now is:

Intel Core 2 Duo (or Quad)
680i chipset
nVidia 8800gtx (or gts)

If you want the best, get the above, otherwise you can do what you're talking about and just get a faster proc, or a newer vid card... but I wouldn' do that. I would just save up and buy the whole new rig :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Ultras are better then the GTX. This is besides the point, the information above isn't relevant to this thread.... :whistling:

The 3800+ stand for the fact that it is comparable to a 3800MHz pentium 4 processor, back in 2002-2004 during the athlon/pentium 4 era, very few people understood that there was more to a processor then the clock speed. So they branded their chip this way to avoid confusion and give the consumer a clearer awnser, though few people ever knew this.

1. Depends on the game, some are more CPU attached then others, one of the most CPU dependent game would be flight simulator then Supreme Commander, though the GPU still plays a major role of course.
2. Minimum of 550W, I suggest 600W.
3. Correct, also the lower the longitude of your hardware.

No I don't believe there is any bottlenecking going on. That motherboard is a socket AM2, meaning you will be able to upgrade to the new processor.

thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 26 June 2007 - 04:18 PM.

trentdk

trentdk

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
ultras way better?
http://www.anandtech...spx?i=2979&p=10

I believe "...GeForce 8800 Ultra is an utter waste of money. ", is what everyone is saying?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I never said they are way better, but they are better as they have higher bin GTX's, they are more or less overclocked GTX's. But not good enough to suggest their much higher prices.
James

JoJoTime

JoJoTime

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thankyou all for your suggestions and info.
In the end I've decided to buy a new PSU first. Then save up again and get a cpu.

What PSU brand do you recommend personally? (directed to James)
I've seen a lot of Seasonic so I guess they're pretty popular.

Edited by JoJoTime, 26 June 2007 - 09:10 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
This is the order I more or less go in, but depending on deals and features they provide I make exceptions and go down the list. Be prepared to pay more of these compared to other brands, but at the same token you are rewarded with better equipment and longer warranties.

PC power and cooling
Enermax
Silverstone
Antec
Mushkin

Thats about the best of the best in the power supplies, I strongly recommend you get efficiancy 80% and greater, a PSU with at least one 8pin PCI-x for a more future proof buy. SLI or crossfire compatibility is purely up to you, normally when it has the certification you automatically know its a good PSU, but at the same token you paying for more cables and such that you may never use (unless you planning to).

James

Edited by james_8970, 26 June 2007 - 10:46 PM.

Macs Suck

Macs Suck

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Get INTEL!!!!! Great gaming processors. I have one and it runs great. Dual cores are really good, I have a Core 2 Duo E6300. around $200.00. I'm not a really big gamer but you might be, so get the extreme processors or the quad cores. and if you want to spend a little more than a thousand dollars on one processor get the Intel X6800 processor! And get Nvidia too. I like the Nvidia Ultra 8800 graphics card. Thats if you want to spend alot of money too.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Upgrading to Intel would require a new motherboard, thus it would be a pointless and expensive upgrade. Not only that, since Intel is better right not AMD has lower prices making it the better alternative to cheaper builds and people on a budget.
Just because one company is better then the competition for now doesn't mean its the right company to buy from right off the hop.
James