Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Locked out

• Please log in to reply

SplinteredChaos

SplinteredChaos

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Again, not sure if this is the right folder for this, but here we go.

I have an older Sony Vaio desktop computer. I have no idea the exact model number, processor speed or any of that. I'm locked out of the system. I got it for free, so I'm not complaining too much. I can't even get in to the BIOS or try reformatting the hard drive. I THINK that the BIOS was locked. Is there a way to manually reset the BIOS to go back to the defaults?

I'm trying to get in touch with the guy I got the computer from and find out the code, but this is assuming he remembers what it is.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you can find your way inside, you can remove the CMOS battery for several minutes. Observe polarity position of battery when removing. Sometimes you need to short two posts or the CMOS battery terminals for a few seconds only before reinserting the battery. If it is an old PC, you might think about going ahead and replacing the CMOS battery.

Ron

SplinteredChaos

SplinteredChaos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the help. After I made the post, I spoke to my father, who has been working on computer for 30+years, and he said much the same thing. Just yank the battery and see if that resets the CMOS, if not there should be jumpers that I can toggle and get the thing to reset itself.

I got it to work. Turns out the machine isn't something I'm gonna keep around. Too old and slow, so I'm parting it out. Keep the optical drives and the hard drive, that's about it.

Thanks!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Thanks for posting back. I figured you might not have kept the machine, but you didn't mention how old it was. Used to part out PCs, too, but way too much collected over the years. Gave it all away. Living in a FEMA trailer doesn't give one much room for anything. LOL Thanks for using GTG. Have a good weekend.

Ron

SplinteredChaos

SplinteredChaos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I wasn't sure of the age of the machine at first. It was an older box just from the look of it, but it wasn't until I was able to get past the whole BIOS lock out thing before I figured out what was there.

I ended up taking a bunch of the screws(always losing those blasted things), the hard drive, a dvd drive (don't know if it reads dvds or not) and some misc chords. Oh, kept the chip too, but don't really know why. LMAO. At 200mhz, not going to be much use to me. That and it kind of bit me as I was tearing (literally) the covering off of the board. I've got the cut below my eye to prove it.

Anyone know of good places to pick up PC100/133 RAM without getting raped on it, because it's older?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try TigerDirect.com.

Ron

SplinteredChaos

SplinteredChaos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I was hoping for more than that, lol. It's hard sometimes to justify spending $100 on RAM that's 3-4 generations old.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Did you look on this page at TigerDirect? Or Google for better buys.

Ron