Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Generic Host Process is making me crazy!

• Please log in to reply

w2kj

w2kj

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ok...it started yesterday. I kept getting "generic host process for win 32 services" error. It would completely (with the exception of the cursor.) or any app's to get to the bottom of the problem would freeze. I used NAV (also ran Symantecs "FixBlast"), Spyware Doctor, Regisrty Mechanic...along with all of this activity I've been all over Google trying to come up with a solution. I've closed port 135, switched off automatic updates, I unplugged some USB periferals; yadda yadda.....aaarrrrgggghhh!

I believe that I tracked the problem down....I used "eventvwr.msc" and found that the offending .dll is wuaueng.dll the only thing that I can think of is it started after I downloaded and installed IntelliPoint 6.1, and now i'm thinking it's wanting to update, or something or another. Or is something with M$ Windows Updater Module; Windows Update?

I've always tried to fix problems on my own...and usually had some success....now I've found your site I need some help! The fact that I've had a stroke doesn't help me either.

--w2kj

Attached Thumbnails

• event_viewer.JPG

Edited by w2kj, 23 June 2007 - 01:25 PM.

Advertisements

w2kj

w2kj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ya know...I'm sure that you are a great site...and I'm glad that magusbuckley was having his problem, and that tuxmaster was able to help him...but tuxmaster was able to help me at the same time! I had know idea that the problem had to do anything with the automatic updating. I was getting tired of pulling straws to figure it out...I was almost down to the last straw and do a full recovery!

I thank you and your site. :whistling:

Edited by w2kj, 23 June 2007 - 03:45 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello w2kj,

Welcome to geekstogo,

Please remember that we are all volunteers here. At the time I was taking somewhat of a vacation from posting in this thread. Are you still having this problem? Do you have Microsoft Office? Have you disabled updates? What troubleshooting have you already done.

w2kj

w2kj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Did I sound agitated in my post? I'm sorry if you got that impression. :whistling:

I was definitely getting the answers that I needed. Great site! :blink: ( For the thread I found most useful to help me that day is: http://www.geekstogo...ng-t160551.html )

I'm still a minor prob....When I shut off the computer [ Start > Turn Off Computer ]...it takes 1 min or 2 before I get "switch"...Sometimes I just hit ctrl+alt+del > Shut Down > Turn Off so I don't have to wait.

Just to answer your inquiry: I do use Microsoft Office 2000; I did disable updates. I ran NAV; I used Symantecs FixBlast tool. I used a registry cleaner (I use "Registry Mechanic"); I did reregister a list of .dll's; renamed a folder in the system32 folder (I'd know it when I see it.) and that's about it.

Edited by w2kj, 09 July 2007 - 09:17 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
w2kj,

Did you run the Fix on the MS Support site KB 927891? As for your computer taking 1-2 Minutes to say shutdown your computer is operating within normal parameters in regards to shutting down.

w2kj

w2kj

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
tuxmaster,

Ahh-soo....thank you so much! :whistling: That was the ticket. It is working properly now.

--w2kj

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
You are welcome w2kj. Glad to know it is working now. That is acculy a common problem.

Edited by tuxmaster, 10 July 2007 - 06:51 PM.