Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lap Top, Win xp, DVD drive

• Please log in to reply

emaan9301

emaan9301

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I am asking a question about my husbands lap top. He can listen to music from web sites and not have any problems (so I don't think it's the sound card), but when he watches a dvd, the picture is fine but the sound cuts out and he can't figure out why. Can anyone help us with this?

Jennifer

PS If this is posted in the wrong place i'm sorry.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
What program are you using to watch the DVD? Have you tried using a different program?

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Windows media and real player, it happens in both of them.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You could try uninstalling RealPlayer and see what happens then...

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
We just did that and now it's not working at all.

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
He just asked me to post this information for you in case it may help:

MPEG Info:
Description: DirectShow MCI Driver
Provider Name: Microsoft Corporation
Version: 6.05.2600.2180
Driver Name: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\mciqtz32.dll
Driver Date: August 04, 2004, 05:00 AM

Comments:
None

DVD Info:
Description: CyberLink Video/SP Filter
Provider Name: CyberLink Corp.
Version: 5.0.2414
Driver Name: C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared Files\VideoFilter\CLVSD.ax
Driver Date: April 11, 2005, 03:28 PM

Comments:
None

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
What version of Windows Media Player are you using? Also, this information you have given about CyberLink, they make a DVD program called CyberLink PowerDVD, do you have this installed? What version is this? Have you tried playing a DVD with this program?

If this fails, you could try installing VLC media player, you can download it from here. This is an awesome media player that will play almost any type of file.

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thank you, as soon as my husband gets up and gets on his pc i'll ask him these questions and post the answers for you. I will also tell him about the VLC and get him to try it.

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
What version of Windows Media Player are you using? 11

Also, this information you have given about CyberLink, they make a DVD program called CyberLink PowerDVD, do you have this installed? What we have is called pc friendly dvd (the one that we posted the info from last night, as he says) I'm not sure if this is also put out from cyberlink or not.

What version is this? Interactual Player 2.0

Have you tried playing a DVD with this program? Yes, it gives us an error message that when we click on more info it gives us the info he had me post last night.

We d/l and installed VLC media player and the sound is the same, it is almost like it has a stutter.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Right-click My Computer, select Manage, select Device Manager. Do you see any question marks (yellow, I think) or crosses (red)?

emaan9301

emaan9301

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
It has the yellow ? on other devices and under that it has video controller and video controller (vga compatible). Both of those have the same yellow ?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yeah that's interesting, that seems to be saying you haven't installed your video drivers, but you're having sound issues? Weird...

Anyway, if you know what you're doing, try upgrading the drivers for your audio (and video, it seems...), if not then post your make and model.