Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Office 2000

• Please log in to reply

Shane23

Shane23

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Our main computer which is also our server will not start up windows unless in safe mode. It freezes at the little window that says "windows is now starting." We have started it in safe mode and ran the defragmentation phase but still no luck. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. We have to be able to run the computer in the normal startup phase because it is also our server for our network. [email protected]

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome Shane23 <_<

Is your operating system Windows 2000?

Shane23

Shane23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Yes, it is Windows 2000 Profressional, thank you for responding.

Edited by Shane23, 15 December 2003 - 11:43 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Try booting with a boot disk and type "scanreg /restore" (without quotes). Select a date before the problem began, but not older than necessary. You'll also need to reinstall any programs added since the restore date.

You can find bootdisks here. WindowsME boot disk will be the easiest to use as you can type scanreg /restore at the A:\ prompt (it doesn't matter that you have Windows 2000).

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If that doesn't work, repair your Windows 2000 installation:

Here's step by step instructions <_<

Make sure you reinstall the Service Packs after repairing.

Edited by admin, 16 December 2003 - 04:07 PM.

Shane23

Shane23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I can only get to a setup screen by pressing F8 which has the options to run windows in safe mode or last good configuration and a lot more options. How to I get it to boot from my Windows 2000 Professional Cd right when I turn the computer on?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Have you tried "last good configuration"?

Configuring Your Computer to Boot from CD

Many computers are not configured to boot from the CDROM. If you cannot boot from the CDROM, this is probably due to the boot order of your devices being incorrect. You can change this in the BIOS.

You enter the BIOS from the first screen you see when you turn your computer on. To enter your BIOS, most users here will press the DEL key.

Most Dell, Toshiba, Gateway, Sony & HP systems will press F2.

Compaq users will usually have to press F10.

IBM typically uses F1 or F2.

Other brands may have different keys to press to enter setup, F1, F2, Del, Tab and CTRL+S. If possible see the manual for your computer or motherboard. Also, the BIOS will usually display which button to press to "enter setup" during POST (if it flashes by too fast, press the Pause key).

When you enter the BIOS setup, you need to change the boot order. The CDROM should be setup before the Hard Drive. Each BIOS is different, but here is an example:

Posted Image

Shane23

Shane23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I followed all of your instructions and got to where you push L and then enter to begin the repair, and it said it couldn't use the information to repair the Windows 2000 installation. And I don't think we have any emergency repair disks. What do I do?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Instead of Fast repair, try pressing press M for manual repair. Press the UP ARROW twice to select Verify Windows 2000 system files, and then press ENTER to clear the selection. Press the DOWN ARROW to select Continue (perform selected tasks), and then press ENTER.

Shane23

Shane23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I've already tried that as well. You had put that in your reply ealier. I tried to create a bootdisk, four in fact and booted the computer up, but couldn't type in anywhere scanreg/restore. When my computer booted up after putting in all 4 floppy boot disks it started the setup screen just like when I put in the CD for Windows. I pushed R , R, F, and I also tried M and unselected the one you said and tried it. I'm get the same response. So I guess, how can I get to a screen from there to enter the scanreg/restore?

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Reboot, press F8 to enter the Troubleshooting and Advanced Startup options. Use the down arrow keys to move the highlight bar to "Enable Boot Logging"
Press ENTER on the item to select it and continue booting.

Find a file called NTBTLOG.TXT in the C:\WINNT folder and look for drivers that fail to load, or copy and paste any questionable items back here.

P.S. Selecting "last good configuration" from the safe mode menu peforms the same function as scanreg/restore. I didn't remember Win2K having this option.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I really should have asked you this question first. -_- Have you recently made any changes to this system? Adding software or hardware, updating drivers or patches?

Shane23

Shane23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
This is what happened. I unplugged all of the wires from the computer because I was installing a keyboard tray and had to flip over the desk which was covered in tangled wires. After I plugged everything back up, it started locking up or freezing right when the little window pops up. It locks every time either when the windows says "windows is starting," or "preparing network connections." It usually freezes when it says "preparing network connections" though. At this point that it says this, prep. net. conn. is a little window with a blue background behind the window. I'm sure we have added software but nothing major. Small things have been added such as pop up blocker and other software which is no problem to reinstall. We haven't been able to use our network printer or fax for almost a week. WHAT DO I DO NEXT?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
First, make sure your keyboard and mouse wires aren't turned around. (Mouse plugged into keyboard socket, and visa-versa).

We're you successful in creating a bootlog (NTBTLOG.TXT )? It sounds like you may be having a problem loading your network drivers. Either becasue the card was knocked loose, or they were corrupted. We can disable them from safemode, but a boot log may confirm this is the problem.

Shane23

Shane23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I did create #1, #2, #3, and #4 bootdisk from my Windows 2000 upgrade CD. It sent me directly to the same place the Cd did when I booted from it. Is there any way you could contact me by phone? If not what next and how do you disable the network drivers or whatever you just said.