Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DCOM Exploit

• Please log in to reply

ProEd

ProEd

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
I'm using a temporary laptop while mine (my companies) is in the shop for repairs. This temporary Dell Inspiron 5160 is loaded with Avast! AV software V. 4.7 (virus definitions are current). As I've been surfing thru the G2G forums, and other websites, I encounter an Avast pop-up periodically (sometimes w/in minutes) notifying me that Avast has blocked a "DCOM exploit ....". What is this and what does it mean?

My regular company laptop is loaded w/ NAV 2006, SpyWare Guard, SpyWare Blaster, AdAware & SpyBot (the latter 2 of which I run manually twice a week). I update all of these no less than weekly, along with Windows updates. None of the foregoing protection software have mentioned such an "exploit".

Any info./thoughts would be appreciated. Is Avast pulling my leg? Is everyone else missing it?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The warning from avast is not a "leg-pull". The DCOM exploit is a real vulnerability in Windows but it (the vulnerability) can be removed by disabling DCOM which, for almost all Windows users, is not required. Your regular work laptop has evidently already had DCOM disabled, your temporary laptop hasn't.

Microsoft "patched" the DCOM vulnerability in Windows XP with the release of SP2, but the patch leaves DCOM running. It's much more secure to disable DCOM itself, and this little utility will allow you to do just that: http://www.grc.com/freeware/dcom.htm

Edited by pip22, 25 June 2007 - 04:49 AM.

ProEd

ProEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
pip22.... Much thanks for your reply. I will follow up on your recommendation.

In any case, my temporary laptop is running XP SP2 and I updated it w/ MS critical updates just prior to posting my question. Thanks for your support. I wonder why MS did not attend to this in their updates.

By the by.... I have also recently received "LSASS exploit" notices from Avast. Similar issue?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
because there are applications and circumstances that require dcom. For example, you are using a corporate laptop. If your company uses SMS for software management and distribution, DCOM is required.