Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reinstalling Windows

• Please log in to reply

soske

soske

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I put in the Windows XP disc and clicked install but it forbids me from doing so because my current version is newer than the version i'm trying to install. How do I get around this? Thanks!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'll take it you have Vista and you wish to install XP on the computer? All you need to do is restart your computer and enter the BIOS. You need to specify that you want to enter the BIOS by pressing a button - usually delete, or F2 or F10. Sometimes you can see a little message that says "Press xx to enter setup", this is what you want. Once you have entered the BIOS, you then need to look for a menu called something like "Boot Order Priority". Here you need to check that your CD optical drive is before your hard drive, so that you can boot from your XP disc. It may already be ahead, but you just need to double check. Then just save and exit, reboot your computer with your XP cd in the tray and you'll enter setup. From here, you need to just delete the current partition and start again.

WARNING: This will delete all your data, so make sure this is what you want to do! You should copy all your important files to another location first. If you are unsure about any of this, don't do anything just yet, but reply with your concerns and we'll work them through with you.

Cheers :whistling: