Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Does this seem like the video card or driver? Help

• Please log in to reply

seenoevil

seenoevil

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The problem unit: 3 year old Toshiba Satellite a15-s157 laptop w/basic built-in Intel display adaptor.

Yesterday I was doing very basic web browsing and out of nowhere my screen started gradually turning light and hazy. I couldn't navigate or anything and then it turned into this rainbow spectrum of mush. I rebooted and it was greyish black mush at bootup and at login blueish mush like its there but the displays jacked up.

I hooked up to an external monitor and can see the bootup fine and windows startup fine but it turns to mush again even on the external monitor before it makes it to the login screen. I can boot to safe and VGA mode on the external monitor and it makes it but thats the only way. I'm typing on it now thru the ext monitor, safe mode with networking.

Does this sound like my driver took a crap? Anyone have thoughts on this? I tried looking on Toshibas website but they don't have a driver for what my device mgr says my display card is and honestly I don't ever recall loading it for any windows reinstalls like I never really needed it. I guess it was internal or something?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Regardless of what your device manager says, provided you have selected the correct laptop model on the Toshiba support pages, the correct drivers for that model will be shown. Toshiba knows what hardware is fitted to each model as it leaves the factory, as well as which version of Windows is pre-installed, so the driver they offer you should be the right one. Give it a try. You can't be any worse off trying it than you are now. If the problem still persists I would look to the possibility that the graphics chip itself may have become faulty.

http://www.csd.toshi...;all_docs=false

Edited by pip22, 25 June 2007 - 03:27 AM.