Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rams do not work together...

• Please log in to reply

Goodfortitude

Goodfortitude

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for reading. I recently bought a 1 GB of RAM to add on to the 512 MB that I was using. But, then when I bought the RAM it simply would not work with the 512. I tried repeatedly. I made sure that they were both PC 3200 DDR 400, or so I thought. I haven't found any information indicating that they had to both be 1 GB cards for my Motherboard (ECS 755-A2). I looked in my Everest software to double check. My current card is DIMM1: 1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM. Under the memory speed line is: Field Value Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz). Under my Motherboard the real clock says that it is: Field Value Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz). And, the effective clock 400 MHZ.

The memory speed initially confused me and I wondered if my RAM was infact a 200 MHZ instead of a 400. But, I realize now that all of the PC3200's are 400 MHz. And, I am positive that my 512 is 400 MHz DDR memory. I realize this problem may require some looking into my Motherboard information...So, I really appreciate all responses.

I will probably try to buy another 1GB pc3200 to go in the other slot...but since that may be a while, could anyone help me to get these 2 cards to work together...everything that I've read indicates that they should. Thanks everyone. sincerely, Goodfortitude.................................

Edited by Goodfortitude, 23 June 2007 - 10:08 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
According to Crucial this board can take up to 2Gb of memory in total.
Crucial have only matched six sticks that that board can take which indicates it's a bit fussy (ECS boards can be extremely picky about the type of memory they talk to).

Just out of interest, you're not trying to put ECC memory (it says if it is on the stick itself) in that board? If so, it won't work in that board.

Goodfortitude

Goodfortitude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
No, neither card is ecc memory. They both work fine alone, they just won't work with each other...it make's no sense. BTW, what were the six sticks that Crucial matched? That will be helpful in the future. Thanx Neil.

Edited by Goodfortitude, 28 June 2007 - 11:58 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
hello,
My best guess is that it's trying to run in dual channel and causing problems. Is the RAM from different manufacturers? Your best bet is always to have RAM running from the same manufacturer. I'm thinking you have the same voltages for your RAM since they are lower clocked, but can you double check for me.
James

Edited by james_8970, 28 June 2007 - 12:36 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
It's a Socket 754 board. Socket 754 boards do not have support for running in dual-channel mode.

For the link to Crucial for the other poster: http://www.crucial.c...px?model=755-A2

Goodfortitude

Goodfortitude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
O.k. Whatever the case it looks like I may have to give up on that. Well, I will have to get another 1GB. I know it has to be non-ecc and Size: 1GB 184-pin DIMM Unbuffered DDR400. But, what if it is 2.6 V instead of 2.5 V, which is what I have in now. Will they atleast work together?

Goodfortitude

Goodfortitude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I don't think that it is trying to run in Dual Channel. I only have one channel, "channel A", with DIMM 0 and DIMM 1. Could it be as simple as incompatibility between manufacturers? Is there anything I can do in BIOS...I'm somewhat familiar with BIOS.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Make sure that the next 1GB stick is EXACTLY the same as the one you already have, same brand, same model... It will be a lot easier this way. With the different voltages (and the fact you're already having RAM troubles) I wouldn't be trying it.

Goodfortitude

Goodfortitude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I tried my 512 with my 1GB again today. This time everything started up just fine except the first screen just froze up. The screen that says "Press DEL to enter BIOS." Only, when I press Delete, nothing happens at all. I tried both RAMS individually in both slots and they both worked alone 100 % of the time. Both DIMM slots are fine. I am hoping maybe I just need to alter something in the BIOS, but I wouldn't know what. I looked up some things and found something interesting on the ECS 755-A2. The MB comes with an outdated BIOS. You only need to read down about 7 posts in this thread. Do you think that this could be my problem?

http://forums.pcper....ad.php?t=413068

Edited by Goodfortitude, 11 July 2007 - 08:28 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The screen that says "Press DEL to enter BIOS" <--- this screen is called a POST (power on self test)

You could try going to the ECS website, looking for any BIOS updates and see if they mention what the updates fix. I suggest you try updating the BIOS, so how that goes.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
BIOS updates can resolve issues with memory incompatibilities, but of course they are done at your own risk as if they fail for reasons such as but not including power outages, user impatience and accidental foot movement around the power socket :whistling: then the board will be dead.

Goodfortitude

Goodfortitude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Soo...basically, if the BIOS update gets interrupted for any reason, my MB will be fried...and maybe some other stuff, right. Well, I can be very patient with it, but how long do they typically take? Can I download an EXE. file for that? For now, I only have a 56k connection.

Edited by Goodfortitude, 12 July 2007 - 09:21 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Typical BIOS updates is done in 30 seconds. Normally you make a bootable disk from Windows, copy the BIOS file and the flasher to it and follow the instructions either on the website or on the disk to get it flashed. The risk comes from reasons I've already stated, but its the most common cause of BIOS failure, a power cut or an interrupted flash.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

my MB will be fried...and maybe some other stuff, right

Yeah pretty much your motherboard will be stuffed, but you shouldn't lose anything else, like your RAM or your data on a hard drive. All you would need to do is just replace the mobo and it should be sweet.

Goodfortitude

Goodfortitude

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for the information. I think, before I go down that path, I will check with Crucial's web page for a list of RAM's. Maybe ECS's, too. I will let you guys know when I am running with 2 GB. Don't hold your breath. :whistling:

Edited by Goodfortitude, 14 July 2007 - 10:56 AM.