Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD and reinstall endless loop

• Please log in to reply

jillhc

jillhc

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I've been having terrible trouble with Outlook Express, so in the end decided to do a reinstall of XP Home. I used a streamed CD with SP2. It won't get out of the reinstall loop. It starts at 39 minutes and carries on to 34 minutes remaining where it appears to be installing drivers. Then comes a BSOD with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error for Stop 0x0000000A and it does a memory dump and then goes back through the shutdown, restart setup routine. I cannot get into Safe Mode. The only thing I can do is boot up from UBCD4WIN but then I'm at a loss at what to do next. I'm in a big panic now as I don't have a backup of this disk.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can backup your data by rigging your hard disk as a slave on another computer. While there, backup the data to the other computer's hard disk or to an external hard disk. Do so before you lose everything, then install the disk back in your computer.

What do you mean by "streamed CD with SP2". Is that a disk that you or somebody else prepared or do you mean an ordinary cd with xp sp2?

jillhc

jillhc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I'm asking how to get out of the reinstall loop, not how to backup my disk.
I used autostreamer to create a cd with sp2 on it from my xp oem cd.

jillhc

jillhc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
All fixed. I went back to UBCD4Win and used a registry restore wizard to restore to a point in 2005 (only one available). It has worked, and no lost data. The original problem is still there unfortunately, can't open OE6.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please forgive me for taking your panic into consideration and suggesting that you backup your data.

If you still have the original xp disk try to reapir with it. I am not sure it will work now but you can give it a try.

jillhc

jillhc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I ran sfc /scannow. All fixed.