Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network problems in pc/pc file transfer

• Please log in to reply

CaseyVonZombie

CaseyVonZombie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So I have the common scenario of having a new laptop I want to transfer files to from a desktop, and I even have a crossover cable.

I was able to change their IP's so that they are in a direct connection, and I can even ping them. Through this I'm pretty sure that they're technically communicating with each other ( with this guide http://www.herongyan...crossover.html)

However, when I look on Network Mapping, they do not appear on each other's Browse lists. My laptop is Vista, and my desktop is XP, but I don't think that is a problem, since I'm not trying to transfer OS specific files (just music and photos)

I am sure that a firewall is not affecting this, since I ahve turned off both Norton and Windows firewalls during these attempts.

If I can get these two computers on the same network, I know how to transfer files, but its this initial hurdle I can't even get over.

So does anyone know what might be causing this lack of network connectivity, and how to fix it?

Edited by CaseyVonZombie, 24 June 2007 - 01:35 AM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi CaseyVonZombie,

First of all, I'd highly recommend that you follow the steps listed in this Microsoft guide in relation to setting up a Vista machine -- File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista. You may also like to ensure that you have actually shared some files/folders on the XP machine -- to do this, right-click on any file/folder that you would like to share, select Sharing and Security.. --> Ensure that Share this folder on the network is ticked. If it is not, tick it and then press Apply.

CaseyVonZombie

CaseyVonZombie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes, I am sharing my C drive from my desktop, which I want to transfer certain files from TO my laptop, and it is in the shared docs folder, with sharing enabled, with firewalls down. They aren't detecting each others networks though =(

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you just want to move files over occasionaly I would recommend that you set up one machine as an FTP server and the other as a client. It's usually best to put the server on the machine you're moving the files to and the client on the other machine, but not essential. You can get a nice easy to use client and server here:

www.ftpshell.com

It's simpler than setting up file and printer sharing.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
On both computers, please do the following:
  • Goto Start -> Run -> Type CMD -> Press <Enter>.
  • In the command prompt window, type: ipconfig /all
  • You can copy/paste the results by right-clicking on the command prompt window, selecting Select All and then pressing the <Enter> key. This will copy it to your clipboard, allowing you to paste it here.
Note down the XP computer's IP address. From the Vista computer, attempt a "brute" connection to the XP machine by going to Start -> Run -> Now type: \\XP_IP

eg. If the Windows XP computer has the IP: 192.168.1.1 you would type: \\192.168.1.1

What happens when you do this?