Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Data error-Cyclic redundancy check

• Please log in to reply

russ kelly

russ kelly

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Several years ago I transferred all my home videos to DVD's. Now I learn that DVD's degrade over time so I'm now copying the DVD's back to a 400gb hard drive to preserve these videos. When copying the larger files within the Video_TS folder, some come over (25%) and the rest all error out with this cyclic redundancy check. Its very frustrating. I have updated the firmware driver for the DVD drive but that deonst work-Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated/Russ

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Means its having trouble reading from the disk. This can be a sign of a faulty disk or a faulty drive. First thing to obviously try is copying using another DVD drive.

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
I had this problem previously, as well as other problems. In the end it was faulty RAM, so if the discs or drives are fine, it could be the RAM. Just another consideration...