Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xbox 360 can't find my PC

• Please log in to reply

Jwblego

Jwblego

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey! and thanks for stopping to read this. I really need some help. I can't get my computer to Connect to Xbox 360.

My PC is directly connected to my router, A 2WIRE 1800HG Gateway.

My Xbox 360 is connected to my computer using the CAT-5 cable included with it.

I have windows media player 10, I can't install Media Player 11 because my computer is a Media Center Edition 2004

I have already installed what I think to be Windows Media Connect 2.0, Microsoft took down the download before I got my 360, so I had to download it from a third party site.

Windows Media Connect recognizes my Xbox 360 and I have it set to allow it.

I have also installed TVersity Media Server and attempted to set that up, but that didn't work either.

I can get on Xbox live, but Media Sharing is not working.

When I try to connect to my PC using my Xbox 360 to share media files it can’t detect my PC I get the following:

TEST MEDIA CONNETION

Network Adapter ----- Wired
IP Address ------------- Confirmed
PC selected ------------ Failed

Thanks,
Jwblego

Edited by Jwblego, 24 June 2007 - 11:30 AM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Start over and check out this tutorial: http://www.geekstogo...ial-t98770.html.

Jwblego

Jwblego

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yea I did that once already, and I just reread through it, This makes the third time, to make sure I didn't miss anything.
What else can I do???

AYEK

AYEK

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey there...I just went thru the whole issue and the resolution in my case is that there is a firewall setup on my Virus Detect software (Trend-Micro PCillin). So you may have firewall setup in your router, pc, and virus software. Sounds like you only addressed the router and the pc and not the virus software. Try that...mine worked after I unchecked firewall option in the Trend-Micro...figure 2 layers of firewall is enough.

AYEK :) :)

jakem

jakem

• Pip
  • 4 posts
how do u disable the firewall on mcafee antie virus

jakem

jakem

• Pip
  • 4 posts
[
TEST MEDIA CONNETION

Network Adapter ----- Wired
IP Address ------------- Confirmed
PC selected ------------ Failed

i do the same thing the same thing wat do we do

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You should be able to right click the firewall in the system tray and select "disable". I wouldn't leave it off for an extended period of time.

rmvanir

rmvanir

• Pip
  • 1 posts
To start...only do this if you have followed on of the steps for setting up Media Sharing in Windows XP for Windows Media Player 11. If you have done this and your XBOX 360 still cannot see your PC then proceed.

I don't know if this item was ever resolved, but I had the same issue on two different XBOX 360's at two different houses. The resolution was the same for both of them. The problem is that at some point the DRM database for Windows Media Player 11 gets corrupted on machines that have Windows XP. I have not determined if this problem happens on Vista. Without a valid DRM database the Windows Media Player sharing service cannot function properly. It will show as running in the Services menu, but it is not really working correctly. To find out if this may apply to you can look in the system error log.

CAUTION: This process will rebuild you DRM database. Please proceed at your own risk. I have not encountered this causing any issues but I've only done it on two machines so user beware....

After a fresh boot so you will have restarted the sharing service and have fresh log messages....
1. Left click on "Start"
2. Left click on "Control Panel"
3. Left click on "Administrative Tools"
4. Left click on "Event Viewer"
5. In the left side of the menu, left click on "System"
6. In the right pane look for red "X's". If you see one with "WMPNetworkService" then there's a good chance this applies to you.

To resolve.....
1. Left click on "Start"
2. Left click on "Run"
3. Type in "regedit" to open the Registry Editor. BE CAREFUL IN THE REGISTRY! We are not going to change anything, just look.
4. In the left pane navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DRM.
5. In the right pane left double-click on "DataPath"
6. The value you will see in the right column is the location of your DRM database. Typically its something like "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM". Remember this value.
7. Close the Registry Editor.

Due to some complications it is best to do the next piece in the DOS Shell
8. Left click on "Start"
9. Left click on "Run"
10. Type in "cmd" to open the DOS Shell
11. Type is "cd thevalueofthedatapathfromstep6abovewithouttheDRMpiece"....or using the value listed in step 6 as an example "cd C:\Documents and Settings\All Users"
12. Type "rmdir /S DRM"
13. Type "mkdir DRM"
14. Type "Exit" to close the DOS Shell

Now in Internet Explorer. Yes, it must be IE because an ActiveX control will be used next that only IE can handle. This will not work with Mozilla, etc....
15. Navigate to the website "http://drmlicense.on...en/indivit.asp"
16. Install the ActiveX control when prompted
17. An active "Upgrade" button should appear in the middle of the screen. Left click on it.
18. Follow the process to install.
18. Once complete, reboot the PC.
19. Once the PC is completely booted your XBOX 360 should now be able to see your PC.

Good Luck

Edited by rmvanir, 21 August 2008 - 08:59 AM.

Stevey247

Stevey247

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have followed this, step by step, but... when I get to the Command Prompt it will let me change to the directory my DRM folder is in, I type "rmdir /S DRM" it then asks me to confirm y/n "DRM, Are you sure (Y/N)? I hit Y and enter....

then get error:

DRM\Server - ACCESS IS DENIED.

Acess is Denied.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft>_

....how the [bleep] can i get to delete my DRM directory and remake it if im not allowed access to it??? Please help this is annoying the s**t outta me now. I have been tinkering with this for months but cannot ever get my xbox to see my computer. What makes it more annoying is the fact that my sister is also connected to our wireless network with her laptop and i have allowed sharing access and set up on hers, my xbox finds it straight away and i can browse all her media and watch / listen to anything. My laptop just refuses to work with my xbox!

I have also tried setting up Media Center to work and share that way, but when I go to add extender i follow the procedure and enter the code, it searches and does some stuff for a few mins then comes back saying:

"No Media Extender found" please ensure it is connected to the network (which it is), Check your setup key is correct (again it is), Check your firewall is setup to allow UPnP discovery (again it is set up to allow this)

I am getting so frustrated now, i cannot share with media centre or just by using media sharing though Windows Media Player11

PLEASE ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED, I HAVE TRAWLED FORUMS, USED HINTS AND TIPS FROM PPL, CALLED XBOX SUPPORT, TO NO AVAIL

P L E A S E H E L P

norsende

norsende

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the exact same problem and it's really sickening.. Been browsing the internet and various forums the whole day, and NOTHING. Absolutely nothing that helps. There seems to be a lot of people suggesting using Tversity or some other streaming software, or some fixes for XP based computers, but nothing for Vista users. My PC can't see my XBox in the sharing view, nor can my XBox find my PC. My Media Center Extender works perfectly though, except for the fact that it doesn't know how to play any of my video files.

Advertisements

BuckRogers

BuckRogers

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I followed the steps posted by 'rmvanir' and they worked GREAT!
I did check the event log as suggested before I started and I DID see the error messages.
Thank you so much for the help!! :) My Xbox 360 can now access my WinXP system running Windows Media Player 11.

papiotatos

papiotatos

• Pip
  • 2 posts
ok here is the SOLUTION!!! after hours and hours of hacking..

Start / Run... type: services.msc then OK

Check this 3 services (it's A MUST if you want to detect your device - PS3).

SSDP Discovery Service <<<<< Start this one first Make and make it Automatic (right click properties).already enabled, switched to automatic
Universal Plug and Play Device Host << then this one same as one above already enabled, switched to automatic
Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service <<< then this one... will not stay started, it starts and then it says it had to stop. switched to automatic

if you get any errors like 1068 -79.. etc simple google errors and you will find easy solution.

i got error 1068 that means you need to have SSDP Discovery Service running before starting Universal Plug and Play Device Host

after that use that simple 5/6 step procedure and R'n'R thats it!!!

ps. i have no idea why this services ware DISABLED on my PC.

I found the answer at the following PS3 forum:

http://boardsus.play...thread.id=46583

GhostNOR

GhostNOR

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I followed the steps in "rmvanir" post, but they didn't work at first.
Started services.msc in the run tab and made these changes: SSDP Discovery Service ->started + switched to automatic ; Universal Plug and Play Device Host -> started+switched to automatic ; Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service -> Allready started and automatic. Stopped the service, then started it again. Now all works fine :)

Or not....

Turned out it also was the Norton IS also caused problems. Checked the mac address on the xbox and pasted it to Norton in firewall configuration -> access controll. Allowed.

Edited by GhostNOR, 20 November 2008 - 06:17 PM.

mr wilson

mr wilson

• Pip
  • 1 posts

To start...only do this if you have followed on of the steps for setting up Media Sharing in Windows XP for Windows Media Player 11. If you have done this and your XBOX 360 still cannot see your PC then proceed.

I don't know if this item was ever resolved, but I had the same issue on two different XBOX 360's at two different houses. The resolution was the same for both of them. The problem is that at some point the DRM database for Windows Media Player 11 gets corrupted on machines that have Windows XP. I have not determined if this problem happens on Vista. Without a valid DRM database the Windows Media Player sharing service cannot function properly. It will show as running in the Services menu, but it is not really working correctly. To find out if this may apply to you can look in the system error log.

CAUTION: This process will rebuild you DRM database. Please proceed at your own risk. I have not encountered this causing any issues but I've only done it on two machines so user beware....

After a fresh boot so you will have restarted the sharing service and have fresh log messages....
1. Left click on "Start"
2. Left click on "Control Panel"
3. Left click on "Administrative Tools"
4. Left click on "Event Viewer"
5. In the left side of the menu, left click on "System"
6. In the right pane look for red "X's". If you see one with "WMPNetworkService" then there's a good chance this applies to you.

To resolve.....
1. Left click on "Start"
2. Left click on "Run"
3. Type in "regedit" to open the Registry Editor. BE CAREFUL IN THE REGISTRY! We are not going to change anything, just look.
4. In the left pane navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DRM.
5. In the right pane left double-click on "DataPath"
6. The value you will see in the right column is the location of your DRM database. Typically its something like "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM". Remember this value.
7. Close the Registry Editor.

Due to some complications it is best to do the next piece in the DOS Shell
8. Left click on "Start"
9. Left click on "Run"
10. Type in "cmd" to open the DOS Shell
11. Type is "cd thevalueofthedatapathfromstep6abovewithouttheDRMpiece"....or using the value listed in step 6 as an example "cd C:\Documents and Settings\All Users"
12. Type "rmdir /S DRM"
13. Type "mkdir DRM"
14. Type "Exit" to close the DOS Shell

Now in Internet Explorer. Yes, it must be IE because an ActiveX control will be used next that only IE can handle. This will not work with Mozilla, etc....
15. Navigate to the website "http://drmlicense.on...en/indivit.asp"
16. Install the ActiveX control when prompted
17. An active "Upgrade" button should appear in the middle of the screen. Left click on it.
18. Follow the process to install.
18. Once complete, reboot the PC.
19. Once the PC is completely booted your XBOX 360 should now be able to see your PC.

Good Luck

finally after 8 hours of trying different things it works Thanks

buttman

buttman

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was reading this thread as a guest but after following rmvanir advice i had to register to say THANKS!!!
It worked perfectly, i hope others will try because it really works
thxs again