Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xbox 360 can't find my PC

• Please log in to reply

dabrat2449

dabrat2449

• Pip
  • 2 posts
The latest fix: change 'log on as' to Local System Account in services window for WMPNSS.

-Open the task manager. (ctrl+alt+del)
-Go to the Services Tab.
-Click on the Services button and minimize task manager.
-In new Services Window, right click on Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service.
-Select Properties.
-go to Log On tab.
-if Local System Account is not highlighted, then you've most likely found the problem. Select Local System Account radio button, click Apply and OK, then right click on Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service again and select restart service.

Your xbox 360 should now automatically see your vista pc.

if not, try deleting the files in c:/ProgramData/microsoft/windows/drm, and restarting Windows media player.

Edited by dabrat2449, 06 April 2010 - 01:22 PM.

Advertisements

BtW

BtW

• Pip
  • 1 posts
FWIW, this fixed the problem for me (WinXP SP2):

Start -> Control Panels -> Windows Firewall
"Exceptions" tab
tick "File and Printer Sharing"

Hope this helps someone.

Mr Charlie

Mr Charlie

• Pip
  • 1 posts

To start...only do this if you have followed on of the steps for setting up Media Sharing in Windows XP for Windows Media Player 11. If you have done this and your XBOX 360 still cannot see your PC then proceed.

I don't know if this item was ever resolved, but I had the same issue on two different XBOX 360's at two different houses. The resolution was the same for both of them. The problem is that at some point the DRM database for Windows Media Player 11 gets corrupted on machines that have Windows XP. I have not determined if this problem happens on Vista. Without a valid DRM database the Windows Media Player sharing service cannot function properly. It will show as running in the Services menu, but it is not really working correctly. To find out if this may apply to you can look in the system error log.

CAUTION: This process will rebuild you DRM database. Please proceed at your own risk. I have not encountered this causing any issues but I've only done it on two machines so user beware....

After a fresh boot so you will have restarted the sharing service and have fresh log messages....
1. Left click on "Start"
2. Left click on "Control Panel"
3. Left click on "Administrative Tools"
4. Left click on "Event Viewer"
5. In the left side of the menu, left click on "System"
6. In the right pane look for red "X's". If you see one with "WMPNetworkService" then there's a good chance this applies to you.

To resolve.....
1. Left click on "Start"
2. Left click on "Run"
3. Type in "regedit" to open the Registry Editor. BE CAREFUL IN THE REGISTRY! We are not going to change anything, just look.
4. In the left pane navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DRM.
5. In the right pane left double-click on "DataPath"
6. The value you will see in the right column is the location of your DRM database. Typically its something like "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM". Remember this value.
7. Close the Registry Editor.

Due to some complications it is best to do the next piece in the DOS Shell
8. Left click on "Start"
9. Left click on "Run"
10. Type in "cmd" to open the DOS Shell
11. Type is "cd thevalueofthedatapathfromstep6abovewithouttheDRMpiece"....or using the value listed in step 6 as an example "cd C:\Documents and Settings\All Users"
12. Type "rmdir /S DRM"
13. Type "mkdir DRM"
14. Type "Exit" to close the DOS Shell

Now in Internet Explorer. Yes, it must be IE because an ActiveX control will be used next that only IE can handle. This will not work with Mozilla, etc....
15. Navigate to the website "http://drmlicense.on...en/indivit.asp"
16. Install the ActiveX control when prompted
17. An active "Upgrade" button should appear in the middle of the screen. Left click on it.
18. Follow the process to install.
18. Once complete, reboot the PC.
19. Once the PC is completely booted your XBOX 360 should now be able to see your PC.

Good Luck

This also worked for me after countless hours of not working. I have written up a quick batch file if any one wants to try it out:
Just copy into a text file and save as "anything.bat" with no inverted commas and then double click:

:

jet228

jet228

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I sure hope someone can help me with this. I have carefully read through the forums and tried pretty much everything I can. I'll give you as much info as possible.

I have a home network which consists of a wired PC running XP SP3, a wireless laptop running Vista Home Premium SP 2 and a wired XBOX 360 running NXE. My router is a Linksys Wireless 'G' router. I had everything running fine until my laptop hard drive failed. I got my laptop back and had to try and rebuild my network. My PC and XBOX are still connected, and after much massaging, I have gotten my PC and laptop sharing with each other.

I can't for the life of me get my 360 to see my laptop. It appears on my network on my laptop, and I have sharing enabled etc. I have tried all of the solutions that could possibly apply on these pages but to no avail.

It's starting to really eat at me. Any insight, help or suggestions would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks!

jet228

jet228

• Pip
  • 7 posts
bumping up this thread again.

I am desperate. Anyone have any ideas?

liono2k1

liono2k1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks everyone for all your help. I made an account just to say thanks.

For those that are still having problems. I tried everything above. I didnt want to install any new software. But after 4 days of rebooting, changing UDP and TCP port settings etc. Nothing worked. I am running an XP machine with SP3. I installed TVersity and it worked. I dont know which of the above fixes helped me to get it to work. But I tried everything above and Tversity. I think my main problem was too many NICs. Here is the solution I used:

http://tversity.com/...#autodetect-faq

You have to read the xbox 360 FAQ to the T. I did everything it said including shutting off WMP11 file sharing. But the key to my issue was one that I thought was causing it. Your media sharing PC has to utilize the first NIC. So if you have a wireless card and a network card installed read the tversity faq on how to make the NIC 1st in line to be scanned and added to the network. After I did that I walked over to the xbox and TVERSTIY: 1 was in my list of Computers. FINALLY.

Note: I uninstalled WMP11 and used WMP10 with Window media connect - no go.
I first tried WMP11 and did all the settings correctly. WMP11 added xbox360 to the list but xbox 360 couldnt see my pc on the network.
I messed around on the laptop and installed WMC on the vista pc. Xbox 360 instantly identified the laptop but didnt see my PC.
I disconnected cables. Reset modem and routers. I did so much work and traffic that it kicked off my DSL for several hours. I not no net access.
My connection is this: Main PC ---> switch -----> to modem <----- Xbox 360
I thought my switch was the issue but it wasnt.

jet228

jet228

• Pip
  • 7 posts
FIXED! Finally I found the problem, funny a simple setting can mess things up so bad. All I had to do was turn off ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on my Vista laptop. Obviously cause I am using a router I don't need it anyway.

My XBOX 360 still doesn't see my laptop as a location to share audio/ video from, but at least I could set up Windows Media Centre on my XBOX 360 and share my Vista files. Going to continue to try and have my XBOX see my laptop because I find WMC to be very slow and clunky.

Thanks for everyones suggestions here.

liono2k1

liono2k1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Well that was one of the problems I was having. ICS was active. When I shut it off I lost my internet connection. So, using the Tversity FAQ I left it active and moved it up in "rank" in the network connections settings. I moved it to be number one and not number 2. According to their FAQ the xbox searches only for the 1st rank connection. So it never saw my PC. By moving it to #1 rank it saw my PC. Windows ICS automatically moves the rank to #2.

For a laptop, jet228 you might want to make sure your wireless NIC card isnt ranked #1 since your laptop is now wired. That might be your issue. Please see my previous post on the link on how to change network rank.

jet228

jet228

• Pip
  • 7 posts

I sure hope someone can help me with this. I have carefully read through the forums and tried pretty much everything I can. I'll give you as much info as possible.

I have a home network which consists of a wired PC running XP SP3, a wireless laptop running Vista Home Premium SP 2 and a wired XBOX 360 running NXE. My router is a Linksys Wireless 'G' router. I had everything running fine until my laptop hard drive failed. I got my laptop back and had to try and rebuild my network. My PC and XBOX are still connected, and after much massaging, I have gotten my PC and laptop sharing with each other.

I can't for the life of me get my 360 to see my laptop. It appears on my network on my laptop, and I have sharing enabled etc. I have tried all of the solutions that could possibly apply on these pages but to no avail.

It's starting to really eat at me. Any insight, help or suggestions would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks!

FIXED! Finally I found the problem, funny a simple setting can mess things up so bad. All I had to do was turn off ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on my Vista laptop. Obviously cause I am using a router I don't need it anyway.

My XBOX 360 still doesn't see my laptop as a location to share audio/ video from, but at least I could set up Windows Media Centre on my XBOX 360 and share my Vista files. Going to continue to try and have my XBOX see my laptop because I find WMC to be very slow and clunky.

Thanks for everyones suggestions here.

[bleep]! Not quite fixed!

I can now share my media files with my XBOX 360 through Windows Media Center, but unfortunately, all the friggin files on my laptop that I want to play WMC can't play on my XBOX.

Still I can't share files conventionally through the xbox dashboard. My laptop sees the 360 but not vice versa. I have even tried to run my laptop wired through an ethernet cable as opposed to wirelessly but no dice.

Can anyone help me? My desktop running XP SP3 shows up on my XBOX, my desktop and wireless laptop running Vista Home Premium SP 2 see and share with each other, and my laptop sees my XBOX 360 and can share through WMC, but my 360 will not see my laptop when I try to share through My Music or My Videos in the XBOX dashboard.

I am at wits end here.

SimgaOctFour

SimgaOctFour

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I HAVE A CURE!!!!

Go to your network connections

Right Click on your LAN icon and go to properties

Click on Advanced tab then Settings button

Click on the Second Advanced tab and click on Restore Defaults so all your mindless tinkering is deleted

Then Click on Exceptions, Check File and Printer Sharing (if not checked, like 99% sure this is your problem) and for safe measure

Check UPnP Framework

and TAADAHHH

Advertisements

jet228

jet228

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for trying to help SigmaOctFour. My tinkering was far from mindless. I have tried absolutely everything.

Printer and file sharing might have been the first thing I have checked.

I am using Orb now and immediately my XBOX sees and communicates with my laptop. The only prob with Orb is you cant FF REW or resume, and sometimes it loses connection in the middle of a file so if you are watching an hour long movie you are boned.

I am now 100% sure it is an issue with Windows Media Player. Going to see if I can reinstall that somehow.

TehGnome

TehGnome

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My pc would only let my xbox share files if my PC was on the network via Ethernet cable. But I went on my routers firewall and after hours of trying everything people have said to make it work I just tried random things. Finally on my Advanced Firewall Settings on my wireless router I allowed "NetBIOS" on inbound and outbound, hopefully nothing bad happens because of this but when I did this, I was able to finally share files with my PC connected wireless.

humanature

humanature

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've spent that last 2 weeks trying to get my xbox to recognize my computer, based on EVERYTHING this site says from before, and I've finally solved it thanks to a helpful dude @ xbox. My computer saw the xbox, but not the reverse. Network settings were fine but something was still wrong.

(Windows XP, using Media Player)

Turns out when the computer sees the xbox and the xbox can't see the computer, it tends to be a CORRUPT library file.
Looking back, when I was adding my 1400+ video files it would stall out and took 3 or 4 go's at it to add them all. Should have been a hint.

So the previously mentioned stuff about DRM folder deletion worked temporarily, but I have found a PERMANENT fix (for my situation and possibly everybody elses who CANNOT find anything else that will work)

Solution:
(this is from xbox help)

Click the Start Menu button and RUN..
Type in services.msc and hit OK

Make sure the following are set for AUTOMATIC and are STARTED:
-SSDP Discovery services
-Fast User Switching Compatibility
-DHCP Client
-HTTP SSL

While you're at it, STOP the service called Media Player Network Sharing Service
Leave this window open, as you will need it to restart this service in a sec

-Go to explorer's top menu >> Tools/Folder Options/View/
CHECK "Show hidden files/folders"
UNCHECK "Hide Protected operating system files"

Go to..
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player
Delete EVERY file. Leave the folders (Art Cache and Transcoded Files Cache should be the only 2)

Then go to
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
and DELETE the folder called DRM

NOW! Go to the Microsoft DRM Licensing site found here
http://drmlicense.on.../en/indivit.asp (in internet explorer only)
and click UPGRADE

Go back to the Services window and restart Windows Media Player Network Sharing and make sure it's also set to Automatic.

Re-add media library, restart computer, restart xBox and I hope this helps.
If not, call Microsoft

-Mat

Edited by humanature, 25 October 2010 - 11:06 PM.

elpout

elpout

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I would just skip all the trouble install windows 7 with wmp 11 and it is easy to do everything

jay191917

jay191917

• Pip
  • 1 posts

To start...only do this if you have followed on of the steps for setting up Media Sharing in Windows XP for Windows Media Player 11. If you have done this and your XBOX 360 still cannot see your PC then proceed.

I don't know if this item was ever resolved, but I had the same issue on two different XBOX 360's at two different houses. The resolution was the same for both of them. The problem is that at some point the DRM database for Windows Media Player 11 gets corrupted on machines that have Windows XP. I have not determined if this problem happens on Vista. Without a valid DRM database the Windows Media Player sharing service cannot function properly. It will show as running in the Services menu, but it is not really working correctly. To find out if this may apply to you can look in the system error log.

CAUTION: This process will rebuild you DRM database. Please proceed at your own risk. I have not encountered this causing any issues but I've only done it on two machines so user beware....

After a fresh boot so you will have restarted the sharing service and have fresh log messages....
1. Left click on "Start"
2. Left click on "Control Panel"
3. Left click on "Administrative Tools"
4. Left click on "Event Viewer"
5. In the left side of the menu, left click on "System"
6. In the right pane look for red "X's". If you see one with "WMPNetworkService" then there's a good chance this applies to you.

To resolve.....
1. Left click on "Start"
2. Left click on "Run"
3. Type in "regedit" to open the Registry Editor. BE CAREFUL IN THE REGISTRY! We are not going to change anything, just look.
4. In the left pane navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DRM.
5. In the right pane left double-click on "DataPath"
6. The value you will see in the right column is the location of your DRM database. Typically its something like "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM". Remember this value.
7. Close the Registry Editor.

Due to some complications it is best to do the next piece in the DOS Shell
8. Left click on "Start"
9. Left click on "Run"
10. Type in "cmd" to open the DOS Shell
11. Type is "cd thevalueofthedatapathfromstep6abovewithouttheDRMpiece"....or using the value listed in step 6 as an example "cd C:\Documents and Settings\All Users"
12. Type "rmdir /S DRM"
13. Type "mkdir DRM"
14. Type "Exit" to close the DOS Shell

Now in Internet Explorer. Yes, it must be IE because an ActiveX control will be used next that only IE can handle. This will not work with Mozilla, etc....
15. Navigate to the website "http://drmlicense.on...en/indivit.asp"
16. Install the ActiveX control when prompted
17. An active "Upgrade" button should appear in the middle of the screen. Left click on it.
18. Follow the process to install.
18. Once complete, reboot the PC.
19. Once the PC is completely booted your XBOX 360 should now be able to see your PC.

Good Luck

AWESOME i also registered to say a big THANK YOU