Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I Can't Download and Install Anything

• Please log in to reply

deb306

deb306

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I had another systems crash which makes the 4th time in a two (2) month period, instead of doing a total Quick Restore, I used my Recovery CD, which worked this time, I was amazed, because I could never use it in the pass, always had to do a total QR. Before I used the CD these were some of the messages I got:

Stimon has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL

Explorer has caused an error in WS2Help.DLL. On this message it kept coming up, couldnt get rid of it.

HQ error loading the TCP Mib Library. On this one there was a red X.

Error while unpacking program, code LP5. Please report to author. On this one also red X.

Spool32 has caused an error in _________, I didnt finish writing this error message because at that point, it was useless because there were 3 or 4 more messages that followed. I had never seen any of these before, after all the messages, I even got this after all else had failed;

"UNABLE to detect a Operating System on this computer on a Black screen.

Since the recovery, now I can't do any installing. I tried downloading and installing Windows Word 2000, which takes all of 2-5 minutes, it kept locking up doing the install.

I tried installing the software for my HP All-In-One, which is a very large download and install, but it kept locking up doing the process and my CD Rom drive kept opening up where I could not close it after pressing the button to close it, had to do it manually. Well the Recover took care of all those Error messages.

Can someone tell me what this new problem is ("not able to download and install").

Also, can someone please give me the steps to a Quick Restore, because obviously, the one I run hasnt worked

Thanks 4 your help !!!

:whistling:

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...chkdsk..tutorial here
sounds like you have some bad sectors on your hard drive...

deb306

deb306

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Happyrck,

I took a look at the link, but where do I go from there and what should I be looking for, not high tech at all.

Thanks 4 your help !!!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sorry ...go here for the how to...
when doing this it may appear to hang or stop...just let it run...it WILL take a long time on large drives

deb306

deb306

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Happy,

I'm still in the dark as to what your telling me to do. I read the site and it basicly is speaking about XP which I'm not running, I'm running ME and have done a million Scandisks on my system. And what are you talking about when you say "IT MAY HANG or STOP running, but just let it run" ????? You've lost me .... sorry.

:whistling:

Edited by deb306, 27 June 2007 - 03:23 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you posted in the xp forum...maybe someone else can help you

deb306

deb306

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
No I didnt post in the XP forum, YOUR in the wrong forum, are YOU on something. This is kinda scarey, having TECHS not know where THEY are.

I can not believe that you would hold me up Happy. I'm going to report this to the Administor, because this is NOT funny. :whistling:

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
please do that...I will add you to my blocked list so I never again see your posts...

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,300 posts
Threatening the volunteers will not get your problem resolved any faster. We as volunteers are working numerous threads at once. Furthurmore, the steps given, and syntex, are identical, whether it be XP, 95, 98, me, etc.

Chkdsk which is used for XP and 2000 is A REPLACEMENT for scandisk which is used on 95, 98, and ME.

Please do as asked and run scandisk. We need to start some where. When done, report what was found, if anything.
Follow these steps:

1. Click the Start button then select Run
2. In the Run window's Open box, type cmd or command
3. Click OK and an MS-DOS-style black screen will appear in a new window
4. Run chkdsk by typing one of the the following commands where the cursor is blinking:
a. chkdsk c: /f /r and then press <Enter> (see Notes below)
OR
b. chkdsk c: /f and then press <Enter> (see Notes below)
5. With either command, a message will appear that says:"chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <y/n>"
6. Type y (for "yes") and then press <Enter>
7. A message will appear that will say: "This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts"
8. Type exit and then press <Enter> to close the MS-DOS-style black screen window
9. Reboot (restart) the computer as you normally would and chkdsk will automatically begin running after your reboot (restart). While chkdsk is running, you will see a light blue window with a dark blue band at the top and bottom. Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot (restart) your computer.

Notes:
Typing chkdsk c: /f (as in 4b above) will only fix errors that are encountered, while typing chkdsk c: /f /r (as in 4a above) will both fix errors and recover lost data. Running chkdsk with both the /f and /r options (as in 4a above) can often take a considerable amount of time—depending upon the size of your hard drive and the amount of data stored on it. For example, a 60GB hard drive with half the drive filled with data will take about an hour and fifteeen minutes when you use both the /f and /r options. Be prepared to take a long lunch because waiting for chkdsk to finish is somewhat akin to watching paint dry.

READ THIS for what quickrestore is vs restore cd.