Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recording sound in toshiba computer

• Please log in to reply

TACPDN

TACPDN

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have what I thought would be an easy question, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to answer it.

I want to record sound from my computer without using a microphone. For example, I'd like to be able to record online radio.

I have a toshiba laptop (satellite series), and I'm using windows XP media center edition (I installed service pack 2, but since then I turned off automatic updates. They're bloody annoying). That means that the speakers are built into the lappy.

I have tried a number of sound recorders, but none seem to work. The last one I tried (which I heard didn't require a microphone) was Audacity. All of them list only line, mic, and CD volumes in the input device menu.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
http://radio.about.c...cordStreams.htm

http://www.telegraph...8/ecrboot18.xml

http://www.xemico.co...udies/internet/

TACPDN

TACPDN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
first link, OpD2d:

>>Choose where you will save your audio file (in .wav or mp3 format) then enter the Windows audio mixer (Start Menu-Programs-Accessories-Entertainment-Volume Control)and select STEREO MIX as your source.

There is no "stereo mix", just master volume, wave, SW synth, CD volume, Mic volume, line volume, and PC beep. (going to options doesn't help. that's all of them, for the realtek HD Audio output. For the Realtek HD Audio imput, it only has CD, Mic, and line volumes)

freecorder:

In the sound card it only lets me choose Realtek HD Audio input, and for line I tried choosing all three- line cd and mic volumes- and none worked.

third link, claudio:

>>Two conditions first. Your sound card has to be full-duplex to allow playback and recording at the same time (that is most likely the case). The other condition is that access to the sound card is not blocked by the streaming audio playback.

Uh oh. I'm thinking maybe I don't have that kind of sound card. How do I find out (as if not being able to record anything wasn't a big enough clue :whistling:)?

>>To make the recording with Claudio, start the program, click MIX, choose Recording, select Wave line as the sound source, start audio stream and click Record.

Again, no wave line. Just CD, mic, and line volumes.

I didn't try the rest of the ones in the second link because I doubt they'll work. I think my damned sound card just doesn't allow me to do it.