Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer possibly destroyed after power outage

• Please log in to reply

SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello to all,
2 nights ago,while my computer was on,my neighborhood had a power outage(not sure what it was caused from,there was no storm or anything).

When the electric came back on,my computer would come on,but when it would get to the welcome section(just says "Welcome" with a blue back ground") it would not move any further.Now that is as far as it will go,and it just stays there.I tried unplugging the computer,I tried turrning it off,I tried to get onto it in safe mode,and I tried rebooting,but that is still as far as it will go.

I can move the arrow around,but there is nothing to click on.

The computer was not hooked up to a power surge,for the record.

Any ideas? I am afraid I will have to get it checked out by a professional or go buy a new one.

By the way,the computer is a Windows xp home edition.

Thanks in advance for any comments and help.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you can "move the arrow around" aka, the mouse, it is at least part way loading Windows and all hope is not lost. It probably just failed to save your settings when it shut down, so it doesn't know what to load. When you boot up at the Windows loading screen tap the F8 key, it should take you to an options screen, choose "Last known good configuration". That should take you into Windows. If it doesn't show Explorer then do the Ctrl_Alt_Delete dance and load Task Manager. Hit the Process tab and then choose to open a new application. Put in explorer.exe and see what happens. Either way you should get Explorer to load then you can open the Restore Back function and get your system working again.

SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello Tyger,like your name.Thanks for your reply.

I have actually tried both of those,and neither worked.The "last known good configuration" just started my computer over,and it become stuck on the "welcome" again.

The ctrl+alt+delete did nothing.I have used the task manager before to solve a problem,but this time it did nothing.

Hopefully something else will help.I paid about $400 for the computer itself,because I already had a moniter,so I am thinking that taking it to get fix professionally may not be worth it,as It will probably cost about as much(but I am not sure).

Any other ideas,I would love to hear them.Thanks in advance.

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
You could try and do a windows repair with the Windows XP disc....

SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
TheXgene,thanks for your reply.

My computer came with everything on it,I dont remember having a disc with it(and I kept everything that came with the computer,exluding the box,and I dont see a disc).

I guess I will have to buy one.Can anyone recommend a place to buy one.What about Ebay?

I will look more into it,but if anyone has any other ideas,I would like to hear them.Thanks.

Thexgene14

Thexgene14

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
That sucks. I hate it when companies don't give you a copy of windows with your purchase. I think it should be illegal. Most companies just install windows on your computer and never give you an actual disc. You could always just ask a friend for a copy of windows. Or you could use Bit torrents.

Or if you want to spend the cash, you could check eBay. Or Newegg.com

Edited by Thexgene14, 26 June 2007 - 07:01 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
To do a "repair" would require a XP home disk. See if you can borrow one.

SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I just checked the price,I am in shock.

The only people I know that has a computer is my mom,and she did not get a windows xp disc with hers either.

I would really hate to pay $100+ and it may not even fix the problem.I really cant think of any other place to get a disc,and I dont know if there is anything else that may fix it.I could try a torrent website,but I could only download it onto my mom's computer,and since she does not have high speed internet,it could take forever(depending on the size).

I hope someone else has a miracle or else I will probably have to buy another computer.
Any other ideas?
If not,thanks for the replies.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What is the Make and Model of your computer?

SomeoneHelp

SomeoneHelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello and thanks for everyone who has helped.

Luckily for me I was able to do a system restore by pushing F10 as soon as the computer comes on.It erased my documents and I had to have my wireless internet connection hooked back up,but besides that everything it fine.Thanks again.