Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD, infinite loop, nv4_disp.dll and friends

• Please log in to reply

hikethekilt

hikethekilt

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I'm running...

XP Home Edition
nVidia GeForce 6800 graphics card
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
2.17 GHZ, 768 MB RAM

Not sure what other info you might need, sorry. Also, I apologise if this isn't the best place to have posted this particular topic.

I've been experiencing crashes to desktop and crashes to blue screen for a while now, most typically when gaming. Sometimes I can play for an hour and a half, sometimes 5 minutes, but eventually it crashes. I usually get a BSOD error mentioning nv4_disp.dll, "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area," infinite loop errors, and, trying to do a disk cleanup, an error involving "win32k.sys." After Googling, I discovered TONS of people have this same problem but only a handful seemed to have solved it by one of three ways:

1.) rolling back the driver. Tried it, no joy. Still BSOD.
2.) taking the nVidia extras out of the startup. Tried it. BSOD.
3.) Uninstalling the drivers, using Driver Cleaner Pro, rebooting, reinstalling the drivers.

When attempting no. 3, I think I may have FUBAR'd some stuff. When I logged back in to my Desktop, I had all these "Found New Hardware" alerts and my display resolution had been reset. After a quick Google, I discovered that was supposedly normal. Tried to install the latest driver for my card. It wouldn't let me, said something about finding nothing suitable for my hardware.

I look in Device Manager and my display adapter isn't showing up at all. Eek! But XP does it's thing, reinstalls the hardware (including the nVidia card) and I reboot a couple of times. Which brings us to now.

Still getting crashes when attempting to game, most recently "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL," the old nv4_disp.dll mention again. In Device Manager, my Ethernet Controller and SM Bus controllers both have "?" beside them and the nVidia Network Adapter has gone missing. Found New Hardware tries to install the Ethernet and SM Bus controllers but can never find any software.

It should be patently obvious by this time I haven't a clue what I'm doing. Please help?

Thanks in advance!

ETA: Tried to do a System Restore, but the function had been turned off. I think I did that during malware removal and forgot to turn it back on. *facepalm*

Edited by hikethekilt, 25 June 2007 - 04:29 AM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Hello Hike the Kilt,

What is the Make and model of your computer?

If it is custom made what is the make and model of your video card?

Blue screen error messages are one of the most misunderstood error messages out there in regards to windows.According to Microsoft, only 5-20% of these errors are actually caused by the OS. Only 10% are hardware related. The other 70% are the result of faulty drivers or software incompatibility. Based on those numbers, less than 15% of blue screen errors can be permanently resolved with an OS reinstall.

So we can correctly solve this issue we need to get the minidumps.

To get the Minidumps do the following

1 > Create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like.
2 > Navigate to %systemroot%\minidump You can paste that address in address bar to get there. Then copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date.
3 > Close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Please do NOT compress them in .rar
4 > Use the "add reply" option upload that zip file here as an attachment.

hikethekilt

hikethekilt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi, Tuxmaster, and thanks for your help!

I'm running an eMachines T035. Not custom built, but I had a new video card installed - an NVIDIA GeForce 6800... unless the video card and graphics card aren't the same? I'm a bit clueless, sorry. But all I see listed under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers are codecs and drivers. Except for "Legacy Video Capture Devices," "Media Control Devices," and "Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device."

I can attach a screencap if that would help, also.

I apologise for the delay in replying, and thanks again. :whistling:

zoe

Attached Files

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
While I am analyzing this.

Please download Memtest86 in my signature.

Unzip memtest86.

Burn memtest86 with a ISO burner.

If you do not have A ISO burner you can use Deepburner

To burn with Deepburner:

Open Deepburner.
Select Burn ISO to disk.
Under Image File
Select the ... Or point to the location where memtest86 is located.
Find the Location where Memtest86 is located click open.
Click Burn ISO

Then please boot to Memtest86.
(Consult your Computer or Motherboard Manufacture manual on how to do so on a lot of systems it should just boot to it.)

Please run overnight. Report back if you get any errors. We need to run memory diagnostics

Download MEMtest86 in my signature.

Here is a guide for MEMtest86

Go ahead and run this test overnight and report if you got any errors.

hikethekilt

hikethekilt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi, and sorry it took so long to report back. I had to go out of town for a bit.

I ran it a little longer than overnight as I forgot to shut it off - around 18 hours. No errors.

hikethekilt

hikethekilt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
It's now crashing to blue screen randomly when I'm not gaming or doing anything 3D with the win32k.sys error.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Well I got some good news and some bad news.

Good news is I found another tool to help you.

Bad news is you are still having a problem.

Please Download the Offline Crash Diagnostic

Yes I know it is a oxymoron because internet is required for this tool.

After you save the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file, follow these steps:
1. Double-click the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file to install the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.

The installer adds the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool files to the %Windir%\Pchealth\Helpctr\Binaries folder.
2. Click Start, click Run, type ocadiagnostic.exe, and then click OK to run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
3. Agree to let the tool send information to Microsoft. Then, click Next.
The tool performs the following tasks:
• The tool determines the number of dump files on the computer.
• The tool finds any dump files that are located in the %Windir%\Minidump folder. You can choose to send all the dump files, or you can choose to send individual dump files.

Note The last 10 dump files to be created are collected. Dump files are not collected if they are more than one year old.
• The tool automatically sends the dump files to the Office Crash Diagnostic Microsoft database Web site for analysis.
• The tool downloads the response URLs.
• The tool displays the response IDs. The tool also provides hyperlinks to the Office Crash Diagnostic Web site.

Go ahead and give me the web response ID(s).

hikethekilt

hikethekilt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi again, and thank you so much for your continued help.

The first crash in February and the latest this morning was from Web Response ID: 1.

The eight others it reported back were all Web Response ID: 10 (6 instances) and Web Response ID: 11 (2 instances).

Edited by hikethekilt, 05 August 2007 - 01:52 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
hikethekilt ,

Thank you for that information.
What Video Card do you have?
Have you downloaded the latest Video Card Drivers from their site?

hikethekilt

hikethekilt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
NVIDIA GeForce 6800. I had downloaded the newest drivers quite a while back, but apparently you're supposed to uninstall the old first and I neglected to do that. From researching before posting here the errors I had, it seems quite a few others had the same problem and they suspected it was from doing that - installing new over old. I know nothing about drivers, so.

The last attempt to install, I uninstalled the old, ran Driver Cleaner Pro, rebooted, then reinstalled - but the crashes still occurred so I posted here.

Edit: Actually, they released a new driver last week. Downloading that one now.

Edited by hikethekilt, 05 August 2007 - 10:38 PM.