Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help Request. 2nd Video Card Causes Icon Problem

• Please log in to reply

KitsuneOngaku

KitsuneOngaku

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Gateway E-1400 (running win2kPro) with the following onboard video card:

~Intel® 82810-DC100 Graphics Controller

This works fine alone, of course. However, I recently installed a PCI video card which I got from an old Win98 PC.
This PCI Video card is:

~S3 ViRGE DX/GX

With this installed, my pc supports 2 monitors. However, there is a problem that I cannot seem to solve.
With both cards/moniters enabled, my icons seem to be displayed 256 color, even when both cards are running at 1024 x 768/16 bit color.

I've attempted these solutions so far:
-Setting both for 32 bit color.
-Rebuilding the Icon Catch
-(I read netmeeting can cause a similar problem, but it is not installed)

Please help me with this problem. It doesn't pose any function problems, but the icons are just so ugly to look at.
Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
You haven't mentioned drivers in your list of things, have you installed/updated your drivers?

KitsuneOngaku

KitsuneOngaku

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

You haven't mentioned drivers in your list of things, have you installed/updated your drivers?

The drivers are as updated as they will ever be.
I've even tried swaping out generic and random drivers. Still nothing.

S3 only made win98 for this card.
The win2k driver I think was made by a 3rd party or some disgruntled user.

I know this is an opening for such problems to occur, however, I've never (in several months of searching) encountered anyone who had the same problem for the specific situation.