Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office Use computer

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I'm tempted to offer to build a computer for my mate - he's looking to buy a new one for a budget of $1300. Don't forget I'm in Australia and that's a pretty "average" system budget. He just wants to walk in to the local department store and buy the first one he sees that he likes, but I've convinced him so far to shop around and to let me help him choose. Anyway, I've been looking at some parts. Here are the websites of some local computer shops:
Umart Click the Gold Coast section
FTC
FS Computers
Gold Coast Computers Online
Dr Ned's

Anyway, here's the parts I've suggested to him so far. He only uses the computer for working on his Office files and for internet chat and email. He doesn't need lots of storage space. No games, no video editing, no serious usage at all. I already have the case, dvd burner and floppy, so I'll use these if I can convince him to buy them from me. I started a new build of my own, but now a baby is on the way... 'nuff said :whistling:

Monitor:
ViewSonic VA1912W 19inch Black WideScreen LCD 8ms 1440X900
Umart Price: $239.00

Case:
ThermalTake Matrix VD2430BNS with ThermalTake 430W PSU
GCCO Price: $135.00

DVD Burner:
Pioneer DVR-111D
GCCO Price: $50.00

Floppy:
Panasonic Floppy Drive
GCCO Price: $15.00

Motherboard:
Intel DG965OT DDR2 800/uATX/PCI-X/VIDEO/GigaLAN/AUDIO/VIIV
Umart Price: $155.00

Processor:
Intel ATX E4400 CORE 2 DUO /2GHz/2MB CACHE/800 FSB/LGA775
Umart Price: $185.00

RAM:
Corsair TWIN2X1024-5400C4 1GB (2x XMS2 512MB) PC-5400 (675MHz) DDR2 RAM
Dr Ned's Price: $77.00

HDD:
Seagate SATAII NCQ 250GB 7200RPM 16mb Cache
Umart Price: $92.00

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium32bit(OEM)
Umart Price: $159.00

Keyboard/Mouse:
Microsoft Basic Value Pack BLACK - PS/2 Keyboard and PS/2 Basic Optical Mouse
Dr Ned's Price: $39.00

Grand Total: $1146.00

Thanks for anyone's help! I'm kinda hoping James and Titan will comment, but anyone who wants to take a look is welcome! As you can see, I have a bit left over, so I really think a different motherboard would be in order (maybe a better graphics card for Aero, but not gaming) and also wondering about the PSU as it comes with the case I already got, but it's hard to find good stuff on these websites. Sites that don't service Australia like Newegg.com and Tigerdirect.com are really good with pictures and more information, but I'm kind of floundering with my local sites :help:

Thanks geeks! :blink:

Edited by ruthandtroy, 25 June 2007 - 06:36 AM.

Advertisements

number.9

number.9

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Maybe you should try and search Ebay.
I got my retail G-Force 8800 GTS xXx edition from america for 100 euro cheaper, including shipping costs.
You should also look for nice exchange rates like - USD dollar is cheaper than Euro.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I would first of all aim for a monitor that has a 5ms respond time or lower. This shouldn't be too challenging since the majority of them are 5ms. Floppy drives are obsolete. Unless you know that you will use it, I was drop the floppy drive. Intel boards are quality made but it is at the expense of the BIOS options.

The PSU that will come with the case will most likely be Thermaltake's most generic model. This isn't necessarly bad. Thermaltake is a reputable PSU maker and I don't think you will have any issues.

Tom's Hardware's pick for best video card for under $100 is the 7300 GT. For Aero I think you will be fine with the 7100 but I have yet to mess around with Vista.

You have a nice build there. Good luck :whistling:.

Edit: Don't buy computer parts off Ebay.

Edited by Titan8990, 25 June 2007 - 03:28 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, I know NOT to purchase off eBay, it might work, but more often than not you'll get stung. You just never know what you're getting... :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
For office use anything will be fine of responce time, yoù`ll never notice ghosting on word.

I`m not a fan of PSU`s in cases no matter what the make, but thats just me.

Get the P35 chipset for the motherboard.

No need for a floppy.

That motherboard you posted is mATX and may not fit in your case.

If you want a smooth running computer on vista you want 2GB.

If you want to save a few dollars you can get the E2160, basically the E4300 with half the cache, something that will make little or not difference in office applications.

James

Edited by james_8970, 26 June 2007 - 07:49 PM.