Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building Problem

• Please log in to reply

sron101

sron101

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm having problem with the new build i have, The computer Boots just fine. But after the BIOS the screen goes black wwith a blinkig cursor on the top left. I thought it may have been the motherboard, so I got another one and same thing.

specs are
Gigabyte S4 SLI mobo
XFX 8600GT 256mbVid card
2 gigs of G Skill Ram
AMD X2 5800+ 2.8 dual core
160G Seagate 7200RPM ULTRA HD

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

What OS are you using? Are you able to get into the BIOS and change options? Have you tried the "default" or "fail safe settings" in your BIOS?

Edited by Titan8990, 25 June 2007 - 03:14 PM.

sron101

sron101

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
There is no OS, it a brand new HD, it wont boot from the CD drive. Another note, ive done the default stting, when the computer boots up, the part hat shows the Vid Card with the ram on it ETC, sometimes is jumbled up. The first testing it goes through when it tells you video card, doesnt do anything. It skips then brings up the processor and BIOS. Im thinking its the Video Card.

BTW, AMD X2 5600+

Going into BIOS i can lookat the system specs, everything is posting, the 2gigs of ram, the processor is running 200Mhz clock and 2800 operating. I also cant get into stuff t boot into safe mode ETC.

I also cannot remove the video card to try it, the board doesnt ahve an input for my monitor. Also i have a 350watt PSU, with convertors to fit the mobo.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Without a OS there is no such things as safe mode, safe mode is apart of Windows, so without windows installed there is no Safemode. After BIOS you should get some text and then pop in the OS disc, without the OS your not going to be booting into anything. Remember, Vista is a DVD, so you will require a DVD drive not a CD drive (I believe there is a CD version, but it has multiple discs, though I might be wrong). Also, if you have a SATA drive there have been a few reports of SATA not wanting to run OS's. Also, if you bought vista, did you manage to buy the upgrade version or the clean install version. Double check the hard drive is installed properly, if it still doesn't work switch to another IDE or SATA cable and try that.
James

Edited by james_8970, 26 June 2007 - 03:47 PM.