Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Aspire 3000 Bootup problem

• Please log in to reply

M Nev

M Nev

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, first, this is not my computer. it belongs to my friend.

It is an Acer Aspire 3000, running XP Professional. I have done a lot of searching online, and I know that these models often have heat issuse. But essentially if that is the case then it needs to be chucked out or seriously upgraded.

XP won't start, even in safe mode. We have no bootup disks, as we are now in China and those are in England. The comp is locked into either a restart if we try it normally, or it locks as soon as windows starts up. I have no burner so making a CD bootdisk isn't an option. I tried to make one on an MP3 usb flashcard player, but no joy. I know some things about PC's, but I am no prodigy by far. Any help would be great.

On the login, the sys32 files run until dckvqc.sys, and then it begins to open windows to crash and freeze. We have left it for hours, and no change. The heat is crazy on these things, even with an extra fan blowing on it. I did a google search for the above file and nothing turned up.

And also, this problem was not sudden, it sort of built up over the last two weeks, from restareting or shutting down when running some programs, to running DVD's, now to any operating system.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Do you know what dckvqc.sys belongs to?

Searching .dll and .sys is not as easy as searching other file names but it is still uncommon that I don't find a result.

Does safe mode give you the option to say yes or no to get into safe mode?

M Nev

M Nev

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Tuxmaster thanks for the reply. We actually brought it to a shop and they did a complete overhaul, I think involving a flashing of the bios. It really was in dire straits, laden with viruses and in need of a fix.

Thanks again!