Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer keeps shutting itself off. (No Blue Screen of Death)

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't believe that registry cleaning will correct anything. I have never succeeded in doing so and I tried it a lot of time. At best I used it as one of a number of processes to improve the performance of a computer. It never corrected any corruption, missing files or other common software problem.

The more we follow this thread the more I think we have a software problem. The fact that Sandra didn't find anything wrong with the hardware strengthen this feeling. I still do not exclude a hardware problem but I think that we investsed considerable efforts in this direction with no results.

Had the computer been with me I would have formatted it. As a matter of policy G2G do not recommend reformatting. Accepting this policy I suggest other correcting steps short of clear format.

Advertisements

sleepkid

sleepkid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Had the computer been with me I would have formatted it. As a matter of policy G2G do not recommend reformatting. Accepting this policy I suggest other correcting steps short of clear format.

Normally I would agree with this, and I would have reformatted a long time ago. However, when I moved from Japan, certain discs were lost, and the software that they contained is something I need, so I really don't want to reformat just yet. And even though I have my Windows disc, I am not sure if I go through the trouble of a reinstall, if I shouldn't update to Vista or continue with XP. I am waiting to see how stable Vista is and how quickly the errors they have with it are repaired. So far I haven't been impressed by it.

I will try the Windows repair that you suggested while I think about these other options.