Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows wants to format Thumb Drive everytime

• Please log in to reply

mattdawg8

mattdawg8

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
My Thumb Drive, made by Retail Plus (I kow, its cheap, but it worked for the first 2 months), seems to think it needs to be formatted every time I insert it into my home PC. I have formatted it several times now, and I currently have some very important documents on the thumb drive, so formatting is not an option. What can I do to get my data off of it without reformatting?
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Advertisements

sharlpero

sharlpero

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Search for data recovery software like this.
If it doesn't help, ask the diller of your drive for help.

mattdawg8

mattdawg8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
THanks, but apparently, its just a super low quality Flash Drive because it is also listed as unformated in this program. Thanks a lot anyway!

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Can you get the data off onto another computer? You've said it has problems with your home system, so it works elsewhere? Anyway, you can get pretty cheap sticks out there these days, so go invest in a quality brand stick. If you are using it to carry around "important documents", then it's worth the extra couple of pennies to grab a name brand over a generic brand.

mattdawg8

mattdawg8

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
No, I can't get the data off onto other computers. I think the drive I bought just likes to make itself unuseable after every...third? time I use it. I will purchase another one. Thanks, anyway.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
You're welcome :whistling: