Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet problems

• Please log in to reply

Meg23

Meg23

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have a similar problem(I think).I have a motorola surfboar modem and cable internet.It works fine on my PC but when I connect it to my laptop it say limited or no connectivity.I have no idea why this is.Any ideas?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Meg23,

In most instances of "Limited or no connectivity", WinsockFix generally solves the problem. Please download, transfer it to the Laptop, and then run this utility. Once run, reboot and test your connection; any change?

If that fails, and your laptop is XP SP2, please goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK', then type the following commands:
  • netsh winsock reset catalog
  • netsh int ip reset reset.log
Reboot and test.

If you still don't have an Internet connection on the laptop:
Test your Network
1. Goto Start, Run, type: NETSH DIAG GUI - press 'OK'. A Command Prompt window will open temporarily; don't touch it, it will disappear in a moment.
2. A Microsoft Help and Support window will then open; select the option 'Scan your system'.
3. Wait for the scan to finish and then scroll down to the heading 'Modems and Network Adapters'. Look at 'Network Adapters' (don't expand it yet). Beside your connection information, you should see a green 'PASSED'; if you do not (if you see a red 'FAILED') then expand 'Network Adapters', scroll down the list until you see the heading with the 'FAILED', expand that option and copy and paste the results here.
In the NETSH DIAG GUI, you should be looking for any red 'FAILED', however the key one is Network Adapters for you. If you see any other red FAILED, expand the component and copy the results.

Can your laptop connect to any other networks/Internet connections? Hold down the Windows key (located between Ctrl and Alt) on the keyboard, and then press the “R” key on the keyboard. This opens the RUN Command.
  • Type in: devmgmt.msc :and press the OK button. This opens the Device Manager.
  • Scroll down to Network adapters and verify that there are no Yellow Exclamation Points beside your Network Adapter.
When your laptop is plugged into your cable, goto Start -> Run -> Type CMD -> Press <Enter> -> In the command prompt window, type: ipconfig /all -> Please write down and post the following: IP Address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS Server(s)

Meg23

Meg23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yeah it's started working now.It didn't at first and I posted but it's fine now.I swear it has a mind of it's own.

Thanks so much for ur help and such a fast reply. :whistling:

Edited by Meg23, 26 June 2007 - 09:49 AM.