Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Newly built computer will not turn on

• Please log in to reply

turtilboy07

turtilboy07

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello everyone, I recently ordered all the parts I need to build a nice new gaming computer from newegg.com. However, when I put everything together I came to realize that the computer will not even turn on. This is not the first computer I've built, which is why I'm kind of shocked it didnt work. My motherboard front panel inputs (pwrsw, hddled, pwrled, etc.) are very confusing on this certain type of board. The manual is literally only 7 steps with a couple sentences on each step. The manual on the cd is a lot better, but still very confusing (possibly the worst manual for a mobo I've ever seen). But anyway, all my front panel case cords dont exactly match what the instructions show for the motherboard input. So after attempting to figure that out (which I still havent), I just decided to forget about that for now and just try and boot the computer from one of these 2 little buttons on the motherboard labeled "PWR" and "RESET". I've never seen these buttons on any other motherboard I've dealt with, so it's new to me. Well after I had everything plugged in, I first tried pushing the power button the case, but nothing happened. So I then decided to push the little "PWR" button on the motherboard itself, but still no power. Also, I'd like to mention that the motherboard's CPU power input was an 8-pin connector, and the cord from my PSU was only a 4-pin connector, so I ordered a 4-pin to 8-pin CPU power converter and plugged it in. After everything I've seen, I have 3 theories: 1) The motherboard is defective, 2) The PSU is defective, 3) The 4-pin to 8-pin CPU power converter isnt allowing enough power from the power supply to the CPU. If anyone could give me some input I would greatly appreciate it.

My system: Motherboard: EVGA Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD
PSU: Apevia ATX 500W 115/230V
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Windsor 2.8 GHz Socket AM2
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768mb GDDR3 PCIE x16
RAM: G.Skill 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800
Case: Thermaltake Tsunami ATX Mid Tower

Advertisements

trentdk

trentdk

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok, quick way to test PSU: Short out the following wires (http://modtown.co.uk...2.php?id=psumod) to have the PSU turn on.

Next, the 8pin connector. Some boards allow you to just use a 4pin. Did that evga board come with a cap over the other 4pins that you had to remove?

Actually, I just looked at the Apevia 500w psus on newegg... those look real crappy. Is it new? Return it for a FSP -- You should be using a quality psu for that 8800gtx. Which leads to the next question: does your Apevia even have a pci-e connector for your vid card?

edit: (deleted a link, sorry james im such nub)

Edited by trentdk, 26 June 2007 - 04:10 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Y did you add a link to your site there? Are you trying to use G2G for hits to your site?

If you want to test you power supply I suggest getting this, to much can go wrong with what was mentioned above. Though there is no need to test it because thats not the problem. That PSU isn't good enough for that graphics card, please don't turn the computer on till you get a new PSU. It only has 1x6pin connector, while the GTX needs 2x6pin connectors. Meaning it'll be getting roughly 2/3 of the power it'll require and have half the amps it needs to run.

I want to some up everything here.
1) The adapter won't supply enough power to your motherboard to have you computer run stable.
2) Bad PSU brand and overall it cannot power your motherboard or graphics card.
3) I suggest switching you pwrsw cable around, maybe you have it backwards (positive pin attached to the negative cable, it confusing and usually trial and error). I highly recommend you don't try this till you get a new PSU, because you risk damaging you PSU.
James

Edited by james_8970, 26 June 2007 - 04:06 PM.

trentdk

trentdk

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
There is nothing wrong with testing an ATX PSU like that.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The warning says it all

If you are not certain and do not have the proper materials or tools available, please do not attempt this mod. Modtown cannot be held responsible should you injure yourself, your computer, next doors pet or anyone else.

Also you could very easily break the pins in the PSU, by apply to much pressure, plugging in the wire to the two wrong holes, there is alot that could potentially go wrong....... Regardless there is no need to test the power supply, it's severally underpowered for whats needed for this build.

James

trentdk

trentdk

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
You can't "bend" the female connectors in that with ultra malleable copper from some tiny gauge wire. And anyone doing this can rtfa to do it in the right holes.

I agree, its underpowered, and wasn't dead (it might be now). This is something that may be useful in the future.

OP, don't be a wuss, you can short that connection, James just hates me for some reason.

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
Use a multimeter, its safer. The PSU is under powered for that card. James hates alot of people, he argued with me about a PSU, but Gee Wizz, it's on his PSU list in the link at the bottom of his posts.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I don't hate anyone, why are you guys stating this. I'm just saying that the testing device is safer to do, but regardless the PSU is underpowered.
James

trentdk

trentdk

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I just got that feeling by the "tone" of your text. np I still wub you

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
:whistling:
No, thats one thing that I don't like about these forum, you never know what kind of tone people are saying something in and many times people begin fights over nothing because they thought the other was trying to be rude. However he was just posting his advice, which was the case here. Sadly it's something that can't really be fixed. What I posted here was only my 2 cents, people can choose to take the advice or leave it, it's all up to whoever reads it.

but Gee Wizz, it's on his PSU list in the link at the bottom of his posts.

I'm unsure of what exactly your talking about, there isn't even a single PSU from this brand. Please note that there are a few PSU's on that list that are additional PSU's which can be added into 5.25" drives and better known brands for lower builds as well. Both of these exceptions have either one star or two depending on the exception.
James

Edited by james_8970, 26 June 2007 - 07:25 PM.

Advertisements

turtilboy07

turtilboy07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well guys, just wanna say thanks for all the advice. I returned this PSU and ordered a FSP 700W PSU. I think that should definitely make things work. I'll post again after I've set everything up

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
"I'm unsure of what exactly your talking about, there isn't even a single PSU from this brand." James put down the pipe and quit smoking that stuff. Your short term memory is gone and you aren't thinking straight. My post was referring to a Hiper 580watt PSU you said was no good. The "Hiper" is on your list. :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Hello turtillboy07,
Can you please provide a link, there is more to a PSU then watts and would like to double check that PSU.
I`m glade you appreciate our help, any time you have futhur quesitons feel free to ask.

Hello again Mark,
Again I never at any point said the PSU that you bought wasn`t any good, but the fact that there was another PSU which was better and cheaper, therefore I recommended it over the one you had bought in the past to another user. Remember I never said there was anything wrong with the one you had. For everyone confused who is reading this, this occurred in another topic.

I never have smoked anything, nor will I ever, I`m very proud of this fact and that I help others my age get unhoocked and continue to frown upon these illegal practices. I find your past response both childish and offensive that you would even say that I smoke. Please if you can`t be kind, just don`t post at all, there is no need for this continual flaming on your behalf. We were talking about the PSU presented in this thread so I could easily have been confused, since you made no reference to the thread we talk in, in the past.

If you don`t like the advice I provide simply ignore it. There is no need for your continual flaming. I have apologized for the way I responded to one of your posts a number of times. You have not done the same in return for what you have said and continue to say today. Please, as I said in the past thread, ignore it, leave it in the past, it has no significances here in the present and/or future and as a last note please quit saying I hate people, I have gone on a number of humanitarian missions in the past in third world countries, I do not hate anyone. I have not come across someone that I ever hated and am doubtful that I ever will. This is the last time that I will kindly ask you to quit posting these false statements about me. If you do not know who I am personally, nor are in my head I ask that you do not place words in my mouth and assume what isn`t true.

If you still have any questions or concerns Mark I ask that we please discuss them in private via PM so that we can resolve this issue once and for all.
Thanx
James

Edited by james_8970, 28 June 2007 - 10:31 PM.

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
I was just kidding James. You need to relax some. Your feathers are to easily ruffled. Sorry if you took it so personally. Have a good day. :whistling:

turtilboy07

turtilboy07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817104015