Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Need hardware advice on new home (large) network

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I built my home last year and am finally getting around to getting my network all hooked up, I had cat6 ran to every room and now im faced with choosing my hardware, I need alot of available ports, I currently have 12 potential connections on my main level that I would like to have connected, but I also have an unfinished basement that I will be running cat6 through as well in the future.

we are big into network gaming at my house as well as online gaming, I have an xbox for allmost every room that id like to include in the network (system link) and I have a few wireless devices that I would like to have access the network (laptop, pda, wireless xbox's, ect)

How can I accomplish all of this without breaking the bank?

Can I run a "cheap" 4 port wireless router with larger 16port hub/switch attached?
or 16 port wired router with wireless access point?

My biggest concern is compatibility and id also like to have a BT client running without locking out my router every couple of hours.

Any suggestions? id like to buy high quality components without breaking into the commercial market (keep my costs low) any advice on which brand components to buy?