Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Machine Help

• Please log in to reply

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Hello,
Well installed VMWare a week or two ago. I set up everything and was about to start up the server, when it said I need my Windows XP CD. I dont have one of tohse at all in my house. Any ideas on what I can do??? My PC is a custom one from online so all I have is a free Windows Vista Home Premium Express Upgrade CD, and my two other PC's didn't come with any installation CD's.

Will my Windows Vista Home Premium Express Upgrade CD work as a Installation CD for Windows Vista 9experimental)???

Edited by MoNsTeReNeRgY22, 26 June 2007 - 12:28 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
http://www.softpedia...t-Creator.shtml

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Thaniks for your reply starjax.
But I don't quite understand how a Song List Generator is going to help me, I think I am missing something... :whistling:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
strike repsonse..... what I get for having 20 tabs open... :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to create a Virtual machine you have to have an OS for the VM...it won't just make one up...so if you choose to make a virtual XP machine..you have to have an XP disk (and technically you have to have a seperate XP COA than the one installed on your computer because you are litterally installing a new OS...so it has to conform to that OS's licensing requirements)....there are some preconfigured VM appliences on the VMware website...but i don't know how many of those are XP (since windows doesn't tend to give anything away)...most of the free ones are linux based..

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
This is what I found vmware's support...

http://www.vmware.co...essageID=673100

You can try to do an install with the upgrade cd. It will either work or won't. If it doesn't then you will need the full version of vista or a full version of xp.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Thank you to both of you for your reply.

We ended up having a Windows XP Installation CD at our computer desk, my dad just never told me :whistling:

Anyways to what dsenette said, I found this on licensing.

Q. How is the licensing going to work out with virtual machines?
A. The Microsoft licenses apply for physical machines, so you should be able to activate them on your virtual ones if you explain to the reps what you are doing. Use common sense though.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...that's a VMWare copout....i have spoken to an MS licensing proffessional about VMWare and windows licensing...microsoft's stance is that you need a license for each instance of a windows OS running in VMWare...