Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't turn on at all.

• Please log in to reply

adamdillon

adamdillon

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
I have a computer that got hit through the phone line by lightning. It will not cut on now. I have a PSU tester and it checked out okay. I even tried another PSU and it didn't cut on. When i plug in the power to the motherboard, the little green light on the motherboard lights up. When can i do to determine if it's the motherboard is bad?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Stick the processor and the memory (and graphics if no onboard graphics) in another working board of the same socket type and see if it POSTs. If it does, the original board is screwed. If it doesn't, the processor is screwed if it doesn't beep, or the memory is screwed if it does beep.

Edited by Neil Jones, 27 June 2007 - 04:09 AM.