Here are some of my problems:
1. A new drive has appeared labeled "Local Disc". Could it be my wireless setup?
2. I ran Startuplist and it gave me the following warnings: "Skipping zones for this user since there are 6168 domains in them. "Skipping zones for user default user with 3191 domains in them. Skipping user Local Service - 3191 domains, Skipping user NETWORK SERVICE - 3191 domains, Skipping user SYSTEM - 3191 domains." Question: why do I have all these users? I've only set up two users - Magnolia and Stuff.
3. Under Administrator, Event Viewer, I have 95 warnings about "Outlook OMI failed" (that's just from the 23rd until today). I don't use Outlook. I also have 15 errors that say "ProductNonBootFiles failed. Also, often Firefox won't start. It tries but won't load. Error messages are - hundreds of them - that "faulting app Firefox ver.... Faulting module msvcr71.dll, faulting address, 0x00014e48a". Fewer times the message is that there's a "hung module hungapp, address ..... I even have some that say the faulting module is unknown.
4. Zone Alarm gives me messages that "FF is trying to launch devldr32.exe or another program to gain access to privileged resources" If I say allow it kicks me off immediately. If I say no it sometimes works, sometimes kicks off anyway. Also that different programs are trying to monitor my key strokes, etc.
5. Often get this in Event Viewer: "Windows saved user Magnolia/Stuff registry while an app or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used has not been freed. It will be unloaded when no longer in use. Often caused by a service running as a "user account" Try configuring services to run in either Local Service or Network service account."
6. Often when I try to log off I get a message saying another version of Firefox is running and must be shut down before logoff. Question: Is someone else using my machine at the same time I am????
7. smaller problems - when starting some apps (like Search) I get a popup asking me to put in my Win2000 disc and install something for Microsoft Office 2000 Premium. I cancel it and it keeps coming back up. I am not using 2000, I'm running XP. I can't get rid of it. Also, problems that reference SafeDisc (not on my computer), and games that won't play and either it asks for the original CD to be put in, says it won't "run a copy", or just kicks off altogether. I use the original discs I bought and the games played fine one day and this started the next day.
8. The system is slow to load anything and constantly kicks up to 100% capacity when I'm not doing anything but looking at a page or even playing FreeCell (with Zone Alarm lock to the net). Again - I've wondered if someone else is using the machine and I don't know it. And, hopefully last - in the error messages I've noted some of them are for hours in the a.m. when I'm not on and I have Zone Alarm locked.
I have the Startup list and I also ran Hijack this. Is all this too much or could I post them and have someone look to see if there's something obvious there that I'm too inexperienced to see? I would appreciate any help you could give me.