Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Startuplist warnings - system errors, new drive showed up

• Please log in to reply

Mr. Stuff

Mr. Stuff

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Before I just trash this and get a new computer, I thought I'd try to have you look at my problems. So you know, I ran through all the "before you post" instructions. Downloaded and ran TMAS and AVG as you instructed - no spyware found.
Here are some of my problems:

1. A new drive has appeared labeled "Local Disc". Could it be my wireless setup?

2. I ran Startuplist and it gave me the following warnings: "Skipping zones for this user since there are 6168 domains in them. "Skipping zones for user default user with 3191 domains in them. Skipping user Local Service - 3191 domains, Skipping user NETWORK SERVICE - 3191 domains, Skipping user SYSTEM - 3191 domains." Question: why do I have all these users? I've only set up two users - Magnolia and Stuff.

3. Under Administrator, Event Viewer, I have 95 warnings about "Outlook OMI failed" (that's just from the 23rd until today). I don't use Outlook. I also have 15 errors that say "ProductNonBootFiles failed. Also, often Firefox won't start. It tries but won't load. Error messages are - hundreds of them - that "faulting app Firefox ver.... Faulting module msvcr71.dll, faulting address, 0x00014e48a". Fewer times the message is that there's a "hung module hungapp, address ..... I even have some that say the faulting module is unknown.

4. Zone Alarm gives me messages that "FF is trying to launch devldr32.exe or another program to gain access to privileged resources" If I say allow it kicks me off immediately. If I say no it sometimes works, sometimes kicks off anyway. Also that different programs are trying to monitor my key strokes, etc.

5. Often get this in Event Viewer: "Windows saved user Magnolia/Stuff registry while an app or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used has not been freed. It will be unloaded when no longer in use. Often caused by a service running as a "user account" Try configuring services to run in either Local Service or Network service account."

6. Often when I try to log off I get a message saying another version of Firefox is running and must be shut down before logoff. Question: Is someone else using my machine at the same time I am????

7. smaller problems - when starting some apps (like Search) I get a popup asking me to put in my Win2000 disc and install something for Microsoft Office 2000 Premium. I cancel it and it keeps coming back up. I am not using 2000, I'm running XP. I can't get rid of it. Also, problems that reference SafeDisc (not on my computer), and games that won't play and either it asks for the original CD to be put in, says it won't "run a copy", or just kicks off altogether. I use the original discs I bought and the games played fine one day and this started the next day.

8. The system is slow to load anything and constantly kicks up to 100% capacity when I'm not doing anything but looking at a page or even playing FreeCell (with Zone Alarm lock to the net). Again - I've wondered if someone else is using the machine and I don't know it. And, hopefully last - in the error messages I've noted some of them are for hours in the a.m. when I'm not on and I have Zone Alarm locked.

I have the Startup list and I also ran Hijack this. Is all this too much or could I post them and have someone look to see if there's something obvious there that I'm too inexperienced to see? I would appreciate any help you could give me.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
This could be a number of things. My hunch is a memory problem.

Here is a guide to using Memtest: Memtest Guide.

Here is where you can download Memtest: Memtest.

Let us know the results.

Mr. Stuff

Mr. Stuff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't understand. How could memory place a new drive on my computer? Or do many of the other things I've listed, including error warnings that come when I'm in bed or the internet is locked?

These problems were here with my old memory and still there with the new memory I put in a month or so ago.

Mr. Stuff

Mr. Stuff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The last thing someone suggested was that I download and run memtest. Well, I printed off the instructions on how to use memtest. That was it for me. This whole process is WAY over my head. ISO images, .tar files, my BIOS, memory timing settings, brand and type of memory modules I have and do they match the BIOS settings????????? Correct them is they're wrong???? I have no idea how to do all these things or even what or where some of them are. I'm a 60 yr. old woman, not a total novice, but this is eons ahead of my tech abilities.

I asked if I could post my Hijack This log and Startuplist log and have someone look at it and just see if there's something there that shouldn't be there or offer up some other suggestions. Please, why can't I just do that and get some kind of help that's closer to my level. Even if it's just telling me to take it to someone or reformat or throw the thing in the trash. Those things I can do - the technical know-how for running this test - I just can't. Please someone just post a reply as to whether or not anyone will try to help me beyond this point so I can stop looking if no one can help me. Thank you.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Faulty RAM can cause many odd things. Mainly to do with your operating system. If you are looking for a quick and easy solution then reinstall Windows. You will lose any data you don't have backed up though. If, after a reinstall of Windows you still have simular problems then that will prove that it is in fact a hardware issue. If you would like to do it the right way then follow these steps:

Please go to the Malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Instructions to do before posting in the malware fourm.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

The malware staff is very busy ATM though. Please be patient.

If you would like while you are working through that I can try to help you understand how to run memtest.

Just let me know. Good luck!

Edit: Your computer's BIOS is a basic settings menu. Most computers use F2 or Delete during startup to enter the BIOS menu. I suggest going there and getting somewhat familur with it. When you leave just select "Exit without saving" to ensure you didn't accidently change any important options.

Edited by Titan8990, 28 June 2007 - 02:15 PM.