Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Apps opening/closing rediculously slow!

• Please log in to reply

CompaqBabe

CompaqBabe

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
My system runs on MSXP, SP2

I try to keep my system up to date regarding spyware and viruses, perfoming monthly scans, defragging my hard drive (it usually doesn't need it), cleaning my system registry, removing apps I don't use, etc. Still, I've noticed that any applications I run take rediculously long amounts of time before they are opened or closed. I have plenty of space left on my hard drive and when I check my processes as I run apps my CPU usage is usually pretty low-- anywhere from 5- 12% maybe. I have 4 apps open as I write this and a couple running in the background and my CPU usage is hovering around 5%.

What could the problem be? It's driving me nuts! Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisements

cmw2010

cmw2010

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
How much System Memory does your PC have?

CompaqBabe

CompaqBabe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Capacity of drive C: 74.5 GB
Free space: 67.6 GB
Used space: 6.82 GB

Other stats on my system:
  • System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 2
  • Computer: Intel® Celeron ™ CPU 1400 Mhz, 1.40 GHz, 128 MB of RAM**
  • Drives: floppy disk drive, OPTORITE DVD RW DD 1205 DVD/CD ROM drive
** My computer is used. I wanted him to double the RAM for me when I got it. I've always believed in doubling up on the amount of RAM. However, for some complicated techie reason that I can't recall, he said it wouldn't be worth doing. He doubled my hard drive memory for me instead, so that was a good thing.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Unless your Motherboard won't support it, you desperately need more RAM. Try a visit to Crucial:
http://www.crucial.com/ There is no obligation to use their service. The scanner requires IE and active X. If not comfortable with that (and I understand) simply plug your system info into the manual tool. They will show what your mobo will handle and provide exact specifications for the RAM modules you need. If in fact you cannot support more RAM, I would suggest a return to '98 or perhaps an entire new system. 128 Ram has XP right at the limit for functionality. I am suprised that you do not have even more problems than you reported. Until you get more RAM, make sure that your page file is set to "System managed size." XP is going to need a lot of hard drive space for virtual memory with that little RAM on board.

CompaqBabe

CompaqBabe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Until you get more RAM, make sure that your page file is set to "System managed size." XP is going to need a lot of hard drive space for virtual memory with that little RAM on board.

Would you explain to me in detail how to set my page file to "system managed size?"

I know the first steps would be:

Start--> Control Panel --> System...

What then? Thanks in advance...

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Until you get more RAM, make sure that your page file is set to "System managed size." XP is going to need a lot of hard drive space for virtual memory with that little RAM on board.

Would you explain to me in detail how to set my page file to "system managed size?"

I know the first steps would be:

Start--> Control Panel --> System...

What then? Thanks in advance...

Start--> Control Panel --> System > Advanced tab > Click Settings under Performance > Click the Advanced Tab > Under Virtual memory, click Change > Pick "System managed size" and click Set. Click OK.

Then you can close the other windows.