Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Not Recognizing Blank CDs

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My Dell Dimenion E510 with a HL-DT-ST DVD RW GWA 4164B will play a DVD, audio CD and file CD, but will not recognize blank CDs (I've checked two different brands). I ran diagnositcs as I was instructed after walking through Dell's troubleshooting web site and it passed, made sure it has the latest driver. It had been burning CDs up until the computer was a little over a year old. It is now about 14 months old Is there anything else I should check before replacing it? I really just want to burn pictures to a CD!

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You could try cleaning the optical lens. You can get a cd lens cleaner (it looks like a cd but has small bushes on it for cleaning) for around $10. You can also do a google search for "cleaning cd optical lens" and will find other options....

If you try cleaning the optical lens and it does not fix it, here is a possible fix from M$:
http://support.micro...b;EN-US;Q316529 drive not recordable

Edited by austin_o, 23 July 2007 - 06:49 AM.