Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics card/game issue?

• Please log in to reply

higby88

higby88

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
I have a gateway 500xl with 2.6 gig Processor, 1gb Ram, and a Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 128 mb Graphics card. i am trying to play a game (age of empires III) which requires a 64 mb card but the graphics seem "wavy" i guess you could say with some other incosistencies. Not sure what to do since it seems that I have more than enough juice to power such a game. A friend said to try :

1. Lowering the video settings
2. getting the newest driver for the card
3. Getting the newest patch for the game.

Not sure it these could be possibilities or how to lower the video settings.... hope someone can help. thanks

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
For your latest driver download here ONLY if you have Windows 2000/xp 32-bit.
http://www.nvidia.co...p_2k_93.71.html
If you do not have Windows XP/2000 32-bit please inform me and I'll find you the correct driver.
This is a old card, after this update you won't ever have to worry about updating as it is no longer supported, meaning no new drivers will be made.

Next get the latest patch, simply click multiplayer and it'll do all the work for you.

Last but still very importantly, you must set all setting to low as this is a fairly demanding game. I do not have this game but it'll be under "options" somewhere once you open the game. If you can't find it maybe someone here that has the game can guide you more specifically, though if you look around you should be able to find it yourself. So to sum it up, open the game, click "options" then there should be something like game settings. Lower it all the way down to low and try it out from there.

Also remember its not the minimum requirements that are important but more so the recommended requirements. For this game they are as follows:
- 512 MB of RAM
- 2.0 Ghz CPU
- 128 MB 3D video card
As you can see you system is doing pretty good for itself everwhere but the video deparment where you just squeak by.
I hope the information I have provided was useful and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask :whistling:

James

Edited by james_8970, 26 June 2007 - 11:01 PM.