Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer Won't Load At Startup

• Please log in to reply

aznjockboiX

aznjockboiX

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am runnning a Toshiba A135-4467 purchased in the end of March. It came with a 160Gb hard drive, and 2x512mb ram, running Vista Premium.

When I restart my computer, more often than windows explorer won't load. This means that the taskbar on the bottom of the screen is frozen with no trap applications loaded. I also can't click any of the quick launch icons. In addition, desktop is frozen too. The only thing that can move is my mouse.

When I finally the computer to load correctly, a balloon in the taskbar alerts me saying Vista found a solution for my problem. Clicking on it opens "Problem Reports and Solutions" with this message:

Download updates for your computer

A problem occurred on your computer. This problem can be caused by the NVIDIA display driver or the computer’s basic input/output system (BIOS).

What is a driver?

A driver is software that enables hardware or devices (such as a printer, mouse, or keyboard) to work with your computer. Every device needs a driver in order for it to work.

What is BIOS?

Software that is built into a computer and that is run when the computer is first turned on. Among other things, this software starts the operating system and supports the transfer of information between hardware devices (such as the keyboard and the monitor).
Recommendation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product updates might be available for your computer.

To try to solve this problem, follow these steps.

Go online to check for an updated BIOS from Toshiba Corporation. If an update is available, download and install it.
Go online to check for an updated NVIDIA display driver from Toshiba Corporation. If an update is available, download and install it.
Additional information

If this problem continues to occur after installing the latest product updates, we recommend you get assistance and troubleshooting information directly from Toshiba Corporation.

When I click the Toshiba Support URL, I can't even find my model number listed in their support database. What is going on?

Edited by aznjockboiX, 26 June 2007 - 08:29 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
do you know what video your laptop is using? Because of the error message I am assuming that it is an Nvidia 7 series geforce GO.

I did some searching and found this toshibe display driver

You can also go to http://nividia.com/ and download the latest drivers. They will probably be more recent than what is on Toshiba's site.

I was having similar issues until I updated my video drivers.

aznjockboiX

aznjockboiX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks for the fast reply, but two issues:

1. I forgot to say that I'm not even using nVidia video; I have Intel Integrated Graphics

2. The driver you posted isn't my computer model (:

Thanks for you help, though.

Edit: I found the support site for A135-4467. Do you think it'd be safe if I installed the new BIOS? I heard that messing with it would cause serious trouble, but apparently the newest version was released on 6-22.

Edited by aznjockboiX, 26 June 2007 - 09:11 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
odd. ok, well lets try this driver...

aznjockboiX

aznjockboiX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Updating the BIOS worked. (:

One more question: I updated the BIOS to the newest version. However, there were versions before it (1.4, 1.3, 1.2 etc.). Another one of my issues was in BIOS revision 1.3 (computer auto-waking from hibernation due to realtek) and was not fixed when I updated the BIOS last night (It woke up at 3AM this morning by itself).

Does this mean that I have to manually update 1.2, then 1.3, then 1.4, etc instead of just installing the newest one?

Edited by aznjockboiX, 27 June 2007 - 10:59 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
no, bios updates are cumulative.

Try manually updating the realtek driver from http://www.realtek.com.tw/

aznjockboiX

aznjockboiX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts