Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New HDD install...$Extend\$ObjID corrupted..please HELP

• Please log in to reply

Jubeju

Jubeju

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer was working just fine until I installed my new Seagate Barracuda 500 GB drive (ST3500830A) as my boot drive. Now it won't startup without wanting to chkdsk my E drive and if I let it, it loops an error message "Inserting value $0 into file 25" or something like that. When I bypass the chkdsk and do start up, it tells me that E:\$Extend\$ObjID is corrupt and unreadable. When I installed the drive (all drives are NTFS), only 127 GB of the full 500 GB was recognized. I had to add a partition to access the other 300 GB. My system is about half as fast as before I put in the HD. Also, I ran Seatools at the behest of the Oh-SO-Useful "Mark" at Seagate's Tech Support line, and both the long and short tests passed, though the temperature claimed to be 253, even though the drive was warm, but not hot. I am at a loss, and your expert help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Lets conferm the results with a seperate program.

Go ahead and download HDTune in my signature and give it a run.

What are the results?

CMEdinburgh

CMEdinburgh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am getting the exact same error message.

With me it is in partition V (where I run Vista). NO errors on any XP partition, of which I have several.

I have used the HD tune program, it benchmarks my disk fine and reports no errors on the disk.

If I dare run chkdsk, I get the "inserting index" message and the Vista partition becomes unusable, requiring me to run a restore (I use Paragon to snapshot all my live Operating System partitions on a regular basis).

I have low-level reformatted the V partition, restored, and within an hour or so get the same error appearing.

As far as I cam concerned right now, it is a VISTA error causing some corruption! If I totally ignore the error messages thrown up NOTHING goes wrong, all programs, even those reported as having this corruption, work normally, and the data is undamaged (all stored on a separate partition).

Thoughts?