Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accidently installed 2 copys of XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi there,

I just accidently installed XP Pro onto my pc twice by accident. I chose keep system files intact at the setup menu and it installed 2 copys. (I was orignally trying to repair)

How do I remove the old (Non-working) XP.

Everytime I boot my pc now I get asked what XP I would like to use. Choosing the top one makes it run the working version and the bottom one loads the old non-working version of XP. Can I just delete some files to uninstall the copy I do not want?

Thanks for your help,

Bobbobagan

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Well,

I do know how to remove the two options at start up

Go to >>> start >>> run >>> type in 'msconfig' >>> click on boot.ini and remove the invalid entry

Please be *extremely very super dooper* careful when you remove one of them, this is not a good file to be messing around with unless you know what you are doing.

Hope this helps?!

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
yeh never mind, I already done that :whistling:

I made a backup of it to my C:\ drive so I could access it in the recovery console if something went wrong. Thanks anyway.