Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

DCpiano92

DCpiano92

• Pip
  • 3 posts
First I'd like for you to look at this picture:

http://img503.images...ies62707ow2.jpg

I'm wondering if it is bad to be operating my computer with the hard drive almost full. Also, I wonder if it's actually as full as it says.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Windows likes at least 15 % of a drive to be free space for it to work properly. I'll bet that you cannot defrag your drive at all. Unless you are downloading a lot of music files or videos there is probably a spyware or trojan problem with your computer. Do you use any AntiVirus software or any Anti spyware programs? The only way i filled a computer HD up was when i was copying my music collection to it. I had to stop and buy a second hard drive to put the 45 gigs of music MP3's into the computer. With the original 40 Gig HD i put too much onto it and the computer slowed down so badly i was tempted to wipe the drive and start all over again. The 2nd HD saved me from doing this.

You can check the malware forum to see if you have any problems and get the software you need to stop any problems. If that is not the problem i would think about investing in a 2nd HD to use for data storage.

SRX660

DCpiano92

DCpiano92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Our music collection is about 8.5 gigs. All of our personal digital pictures are at least 10.5 gigs. We've got some games installed. Need For Speed, Age of Mythology, and Tony Hawk 3 to name some of the ones that take the most space. And some of the applications that take up a lot of space are Microsoft Word, Flash 8, Dreamweaver 8, Photoshop CS2, and Ulead VideoStudio 9. We have Trend Micro Internet Security 2007 which hasn't found any major virus or spyware problems recently....

Well, if my hard drive is actually full I don't really know anything about getting more space. What are my options?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The easist method.

http://askbobrankin....hard_drive.html

http://www.pctechgui...ive_Reasons.htm

The above websites explain how to add another hard drive for more space.

SRX660

DCpiano92

DCpiano92

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks!
I'll check those out.