Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ddr Question

• Please log in to reply

vladamere

vladamere

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey i have currently (ddr2) RAM, i am going to buy a new GPU, now the new GPU is ddr3 does that mean i need a mothebourd update? or can i use the ddr3 GPU now? i currently have the intel motherboard
Intel® Desktop Board D945PSN (catchy name?) thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
DDR spec memory on a graphics card is irrelevant to the DDR memory spec of a computer.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes, the GPU (graphics card) comes in different options - PCI (pretty much obsolete), AGP (on its way out), and PCI-Express. Your motherboard supports PCI-Express according to the Intel website, so just make sure that the graphics card you purchase is ready to fit the PCI-Express socket. Depending on what kind of card you are getting, you might need to upgrade your power supply unit to make sure everything is getting plenty of juice. Too little can cause all kinds of problems. If you like, you can post some of your specs in here along with the card you're looking at getting, and we can give you some advice on it. Preferably use links so we can check out the product also.

Cheers :whistling:

vladamere

vladamere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Awsome, my power supply should easy have the juice, (its 550w)

Um

Pentium 4 3.20Ghz
1Gb ddr2 RAM
160Gb Hard-drive,
Geforce 6600 (i am going to upgrade)
"15" Compaq FP5315 (LCD)
52x DVD

I bought it for $400 so it was a bargain,I am thinking about buying a Geforce 7800GT or somthing along the lines of that, i am willing to pay upto $250. Any idears? im going the whole way next year for a new pc so i don't need a beast of a gpu, but i will get an sli motherboard so i might use this card (the one i get) with next years card.
So Should i get the 7800GT? or is there anything better for what i want?

Edited by vladamere, 28 June 2007 - 05:54 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
AGP is just old-school, a different way of connecting a graphics card to your system. AGP is limited to 8X, whereas PCI-Express is rated at 16X, twice as fast, so it can take advantage of a much faster card. You could look it up on Wikipedia if you like, I'm sure they'd have some more information if you're further interested.